Author Topic: Entry in Roll of Freemen  (Read 699 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Entry in Roll of Freemen
« on: June 05, 2024, 05:05:58 AM »
Entry in Roll of Freemen

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Entry in Roll of Freemen
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 09:39:10 AM »
Entry in Roll of Freemen
@Ken Fraser
I'm always curious to know what, if any, preparations you make when inscribing a book (like pencil guidelines, test of paper, etc.). The pressure to not make a mistake must be considerable.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 09:14:32 AM »
An interesting oservation AnasaziWrites and the situation is often misunderstood. Over the years I've been fortunate to be commissioned to produce documents to be signed, or presented to, various members of Royalty and leading politicians. In view of the recipients, it is ofter assumed that this work must be the most difficult writing of all. producing considerable tension. In fact, this isn't the csse. If somethng goes badly wrong, there is usiually time to do it again, even if it means working through the night and then no one knows thst you had any problems. Writing an entry in a "Roll of Freemen" is an entirely different matter.as there is no second chance. In this particular case, I produced a large, ornate scroll for presentation without a hitch, (it was actually shown on a TV documentary which was a bit of an ego boost!) and then followed my usual procedure for the book entry. Firstly, books like this are usualy very old with many beautifully, scribed entries. Threre was, of course, no possibility of testing the paper. I always do work of this importance late at night when disturbances will be at a minimum. I wrote out the entire piece in pencil to determine layout . I then wrote it out lightly in pencil on the page itself. I then checked it throughout letter by letter to make absolutely sure that there were no mistakes before over-writing in ink.To make sure that the ink was totally dry, I left it until the next day, before removing the light pencil. One further point - I write withut TV or background music I find that it's psrticularly importanr to avoid songs as it is all too easy to find oneself incorporating a word from a song you are listening to!
I've never seen anything in print on this subject and this is just my own method which I've found to be virtualy foolproof. I hope thst it is of some interest.     
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 09:22:58 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 10:10:00 AM »
@Ken Fraser:  I am an auditory learner.  I can’t “turn off” sounds, even extraneous sounds not directed towards me.  As a result, I always letter in silence.  I find that if I write when vocal music is audible, the lyrics become part of the text that I’m working on.  EEK!  No one wants the lyrics of Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” in their certificate of achievement, or whatever is being penned!  😃

Janis

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 08:26:16 PM »
What a lovely thread.
Informative for the learner as well as the experienced.
Great question, Mike, and so much knowledge passed on by Mr Fraser with so few words.

Question for Mr Fraser - Have you ever written your memoirs?
I ask the question, because solely, I typed into the internet your name and the word 'author' and sadly, all I could find was on the 'FPN' dated 11 years ago. (Oh, how I agree with the acholade you were so rightly afforded.)
MASTER SCRIBE? I should cocoa!!!

Appologies for hyjacking the thread, Mike.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T (JUST A LITTLE BIG BIT) @JanisTX  ;) ;D

Mark
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 08:40:23 PM »
I hope thst it is of some interest.     
It is indeed of great interest.
I could easily work alongside of you in a quiet place and time.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2024, 06:04:48 AM »
@Mark T:  Ken does, indeed, have a “memoir”.  - I have a DVD that chronicles his work & many accompaniments!  I believe that he may still have some to sell.  I treasure mine!  It’s a treasure-trove of fabulous calligraphy!  He is a genius!  (I’m a big fan, as you likely can tell!)

Janis

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2024, 04:44:25 PM »
Thank you for the reminder, Janis.
A long time ago I produced a couple of books and a DVD, which were fairly popular. Unfortunately as I was producing them entirely on my own, they began to impinge on the time I had left to spend on my calligraphy,  and I abandoned them. They are now a thing of the past
If you have one of the above-mentioned,  you have a copy of a very limited edition!

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2024, 02:38:02 AM »
@Mark T:  Ken does, indeed, have a “memoir”.  - I have a DVD that chronicles his work & many accompaniments!  I believe that he may still have some to sell.  I treasure mine!  It’s a treasure-trove of fabulous calligraphy!  He is a genius!  (I’m a big fan, as you likely can tell!)

Janis

@JanisTX - Am I envious? Of course not......... much :'(

@Mr Fraser - Oh well. I'll just have to settle for your works here, of which I am happy to do.

Mark
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 03:58:56 PM »
@Ken Fraser:  I *think* you gifted me the DVD because I sent you a “care package’ of something.  Maybe Pearl-Ex??  I think it was something that was readily available to me, but hard for you to acquire.  I’m lucky in that I live in a rural area, but I have the biggest Hobby Lobby store in their system of stores. - Art supplies?  I’ve got access to LOTS!! 😃. Thank you, again, for the DVD!  I treasure it!

Janis