Author Topic: Seeking Perfection in Imperfection  (Read 8738 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Perfection in Imperfection
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:40 AM »
Having been hand- produced, my efforts will inevitably contain many inconsistencies and its those variations which have their appeal as having been produced by a human and it's this alternative to mechanisation which makes calligraphy an attractive option to clients.

"Delicious imperfection" - that was the phrase you took such grave exception to, wasn't it?  Do you not think that this might be a clear case of having your cake and eating it?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 07:36:33 AM »
"Delicious imperfection" - that was the phrase you took such grave exception to, wasn't it?  Do you not think that this might be a clear case of having your cake and eating it?

I try to avoid imperfections as much as possible, but I am aware that my writing looks more hand-done as a result of them, making my work more commercially viable - so I may be having my cake and eating it - nice work if you can get it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:47:23 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »
Fortunately for us, even if our writing looks to the layman like a printer font; such is the perverse nature of human beings, it has more commercial value if it can be described as having been produced by hand.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:52:42 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
I see these examples as inspiration rather than examples to copy. If I wanted an exact copy then I would sensibly use a photo-copier :-)

I admire the documents in The Universal Penman, but I don't want to replicate them.

I don't want to replicate them either. I don't want exact copies,  but I do want to be able to write like that! :D
I thought to make the same comment. Trying to replicate a 200 year old receipt is not the goal, but rather a step in the process to developing the skill to write well in that given style, or put more eloquently by James Wardrop in his The Script of humanism, "documents pour servir:  that they should serve also pour encourager les autres..."

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:39:31 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
Posted in error