Author Topic: National Stationery Show - NYC  (Read 5985 times)

Offline jaimelynne

• View Profile
National Stationery Show - NYC
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:04 AM »
Hey flourish!

I might be going to the National Stationery Show for work in New York City in May and I wondered if anyone has been before or is planning on going? It looks like a ton of fun, but I don't know a lot about it. Would love to hear your thoughts if you've been, or maybe meet up if we both end up going!
Jaime Lynne

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
Re: National Stationery Show - NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Oh my! There's such a thing?! Clearly I don't know a lot, but that really sounds exciting!! Have fun!
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
So exciting, Jaime!! I've always wanted to go! A friend of mine goes every year for her work and I've always wanted to tag along. It'll be like a kid in a candy store. Hope you'll share some great photos and recap with us!

For anyone curious: http://www.nationalstationeryshow.com/ a.k.a. "Heaven"  ;D

Offline Tara H

• Freshman Member
  • graphic + web designer, aspiring calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
A few years ago, a friend and I went as attendees, not vendors. It was overwhelming, but in a good way.

We spent only a day on the floor, but we could easily have spent two full days at the show. I'm not sure we saw even half the booths during our day there. We chatted with a number of vendors who were generous to two graphic design students with their giveaways.  :)

If you're going as a vendor, you may want to search for "national stationery show booth" for articles/blog posts from vendors who share their previous experience. Also, there's a Flickr stream devoted to exhibition booths if you're looking for ideas.

Good luck!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
I went many years ago and I agree - it is overwhelming but in a really good way. I went by myself but met up with someone and we walked much of it in 5 hours. I liked the company but also didn't mind the remaining hours by myself because I had so many things I wanted to see.

I went as a calligrapher looking for stationery options for wedding goods but also to get ideas and be inspired. And boy, was I. I had so many ideas I spent the entire 5 hour drive home drawing and writing things down in my sketch book. I still have that and to this day refer back to it!

Find a giveaway bag early on and then use that to collect "goodies" from vendors. I tried not to take anything I wasn't really interested in because everything adds up and my bag was loaded by the time I left. Plus I didn't want to take from vendors stash if it wasn't useful for me (or them).

As I said, I walked for over 5 hours straight so go well rested and perhaps do some walking in the weeks before. It was a serious work out! I lost 5 pounds!  :o

Just a little tip... back then there weren't many (hardly any) calligraphers in attendance. I have loose lips anyway and was talking up some ideas I had with a couple vendors. The next year one of the vendors used one of my ideas ... without me! So just be cognizant of the fact it is an industry show and everyone there is in business of some type or another.

Overall - you should have a blast!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jaimelynne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:04 AM »
Thank you so much ladies! It sounds like so much fun! I would be going as an attendee to drool and be inspired :).  Erica, it looks like it is open Sunday through Wednesday; would you recommend attending the whole show or more than one day?
Jaime Lynne

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
Definitely could do more than one day. There is so much to see! As an attendee I don't think you will be able to go into Surtex (surface and pattern design). But there is really a lot to see.  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »
I always read the recap on the Oh So Beautiful Paper blog. It truly seems like heaven. Please share many, many, many, many photos.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
OMG, I had no idea there would be such a thing and so large as to take up the Javits Center! 

Erica, I used to attend shows there twice a year for fashion buying and you had to register and be in business.  Did you attend as a guest?  I guess anyone with a business license as a calligrapher could attend. 
Debbie

Offline papercrew

• Freshman Member
  • www.papercrew.com
    • View Profile
    • Paper Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

Just a little tip... back then there weren't many (hardly any) calligraphers in attendance. I have loose lips anyway and was talking up some ideas I had with a couple vendors. The next year one of the vendors used one of my ideas ... without me! So just be cognizant of the fact it is an industry show and everyone there is in business of some type or another.

Overall - you should have a blast!  ;D

Erica - that's terrible! I have to start keeping a tight lip at all the networking events I attend. I have a misguided trust that everyone has good intentions, so I forget that there are people who don't have those intentions. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
I always read the recap on the Oh So Beautiful Paper blog. It truly seems like heaven. Please share many, many, many, many photos.

Me too, Natascha!

Jaime, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun! I'd be a bit scared if it were me attending because I have no self-control when it comes to paper products.
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:33:34 AM »

Me too, Natascha!

OMG! I'm in lesbians with you again.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »
Did you attend as a guest?  I guess anyone with a business license as a calligrapher could attend.

No, I went as a business (because I was one). I resold paper goods at the time but it's not a necessary requirement.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
hey Jaime!

NSS is definitely a fun exhibition full of talented paper companies large and small. As well as gift manufacturers and pen makers. We've been exhibiting there every year for the last 10 years. It's an industry show mostly for buyers to find stationery lines to carry in their shops, and for brick & mortar invitation stores / studios to find makers of custom invitation collections. if you're not classified as a "buyer" then you can register as an "artist" who can walk the floor and make potential contacts and ask questions of the exhibiting designers and printers. As tempting as all of the gorgeous goodies on display are it's not a cash and carry show so no purchases can be made on the spot. And because its a wholesale show if you do want to buy something they'd refer you to their website or retailers. But having said all of that, it's the BEST place to get a concentrated insight into the commercial stationery world. if you envision it as a golden opportunity to examine trends, get inspired by talents, review the range of possibilities where you could apply your own talents to develop a line of cards or invites---then it will be a super fun trip for you!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help! and please come visit me at our Twig & Fig booth if you do attend!! :)

xoxo
suzie

Hey flourish!

I might be going to the National Stationery Show for work in New York City in May and I wondered if anyone has been before or is planning on going? It looks like a ton of fun, but I don't know a lot about it. Would love to hear your thoughts if you've been, or maybe meet up if we both end up going!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:12:01 PM by suzietwig »
cheers, suzie*
graphic designer, boss lady, aspiring calligraphiste, photog
twig & fig luxury invitations   |  instagram

Offline ValarieW

• View Profile
    • Dear Ondine
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »
I have dreams of going to this!! The owner of the small stationery store I was hired at goes every year and sadly I have to stay behind to run the store...but it looks absolutely amazing! Fingers are crossed we can get someone to cover for me as well so I can join in.
hands of a surgeon, heart of an artist
Instagram: @dearondine