Author Topic: Elanor Winter's "Mastering Copperplate" vs "Italic and Copperplate Calligraphy"  (Read 2741 times)

Offline stenolearner

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
I am a beginner at copperplate. How do these books compare? Is there a lot of duplication of material? Is there any difference in teaching approach between the older book vs the newer book?

Offline matteherr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
I have her book, but I personally prefer the older books like the zanarian manual for better exemplars to refer too. It depends on if you are trying to master the script of the old masters or trying to learn a more modern feel.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
@stenolearner :  I used Eleanor Winters' original Copperplate book as if it was a text book when I began learning Copperplate.  I started on page one & worked my way through the book to the back.  I have her second book & rarely look at it.  I return to the first book over & over again.  I strongly recommend the first book!  Besides the Zanerian Manual (which is very good, but seems too "cluttered" to me), I also like anything by Dick Jackson.  I have gotten good tips from his books.  That all being said, it I only could have one book on Copperplate, it would be Eleanor Winters' first book!

Janis

Offline Lindah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
I also have the first book and love it.  I taught myself copperplate from that book.
Linda

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
  • Crazy old person
    • View Profile
I have both. And I don't think there is ever any good general answer to such a question, so...

It all boils down to your own preferences, interests and styles. If you are serious about Copperplate and only Copperplate, I'd be tempted to say "get the first" (Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy), but if you are curious and just want to learn the basics and are also curious about italic, then second book (Italic and Copperplate) would be better.

I find the first ("thinner") book, thicker to read, but it gives a lot more detail on the basics and works them in minute detail, which is OK for those who like to reinforce their learning and encompass minute aspects of a subject. The second gives the basics and a lot of practical, illustrative ideas, it is more pedagogic and lighter to read. Kind of comparing a French encyclopedic textbook and an American illustrated text. It all depends on the kind of learner you are.

If you want Calligraphy, the first is better, if you prefer to improve everyday writing I'd say the second.

Some people delight in minute detail, some only want some reference examples and prefer to work their own way out.

"Italic and Copperplate" is intended to give you fast results, "Mastering Copperplate" to guide you slowly to perfection.

And I could go on for hours. Briefly: as a beginner I'd probably start with the easier, less technical, more appealing "italic and Copperplate", but keeping in mind that if I intend to seriously pursue Copperplate, I'll proceed to "Mastering Copperplate" afterwards. Thus if you seriously want to "go for it", and don't mind the learning curve, maybe it is better to directly start at the definitive reference.

If you are the kind who can work his way out and prefer to figure things by yourself, and would rather have only a quick reference, there are other booklets that may serve you better.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:56:31 AM by jrvalverde »