Author Topic: Magnifiers  (Read 3518 times)

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Magnifiers
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
Hi Everyone!  Happy Holidays! 

I was watching an Instagram video (masgrimes) where he was retouching some calligraphy.  It was extremely close-up and I could see that the letters were not extra large - just a regular size - there was no measurement but the end of the nib was quite large in the video.  I think he must've been using some type of magnifier and I was thinking that I need a magnifier.  I looked at the kind that is a lamp with a round magnifier attached to the lamp but I was thinking that it might be better to wear a headpiece with lights and magnifiers on it - like the type that jewelers wear. 

Has anyone tried this?  If you use a magnifier, could you tell me which one and what you think the pros and cons are?    There was a thread on this from 2015 but without much information.

Thanks!  Liz

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Magnifiers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:58:25 AM »
I wear bifocals on a daily basis. Whenever I am doing lettering or hand sewing, I put a pair of readers on over the bifocals and while it looks silly - it is magical to have everything enlarged.
I have several pairs of readers that I wear over my glasses. The strength doesn't matter 2.0 is a good starter strength. I have some stronger ones, too. They are the inexpensive kind off the rack from a drug store.
If you are going to try readers over your regular glasses - choose a frame that is as wide as possible. The bows will hook over the top of your regular glasses and the nose piece will sit down lower on your nose. I prefer the all plastic frames to the ones with nose-pieces - but any kind work.
Pros - easy and inexpensive fix. Cons - you look silly - and people call you *six-eyes.*

I have seen people with the very fancy magnifiers that surgeons wear - and, of course, they love them - I'm sure they are wonderful to wear - but very expensive. For me - good lighting is essential - but, it would probably take a while to get used to wearing something on my head. I feel with the readers, it is very easy to slip them on and off - which is another advantage.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »
They may have been using one of the USB microscopes. They hook up to the computer and often have lights attached. I recently got one for myself for my birthday and it’s pretty cool for looking at nibs. It gives you the option of holding it in a stand further away so you see more of the nib, or up close to see details. You can also take short videos wih it.

I got the Celestron 5MP Microscope Pro. It has good reviews and seems well-made.

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »
@jeanwilson Thank you, Jean.  What a great idea!  I really appreciate your detail in explaining the type you like and why.  "Six eyes" are better than four!

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
@AAAndrew Thank you, Andrew.  It is great to have a recommendation for what someone considers to be good equipment - someone who actually has it and uses it.  I did some looking on Amazon and everything kind of looked that same, etc.  Hard to really tell by price what is good and what isn't and if it will suit calligraphy needs, etc.   I did hear back from masgrimes on Instagram.  I asked him what he was using and he said it was just a loop magnifier.  He said that this is not something he normally does but that it is useful for reproduction work.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 04:15:13 AM »
I believe they are normally spelled loupe, and there are several varieties and many uses. My guess is one specifically marketed to surgeons would be more expensive than similar ones used in photography. The cheapest option would be the simple monocle type that are often used by collectors to inspect things. Of course, it might be harder to hold them while doing calligraphy.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 02:38:45 AM »
Another cheap option is the magnifiers that clip over your glasses. The are 1.5x (strength 2.25) - you can find them for around $10 in the sewing section at Michaels. I use them for close up work and they work great.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »
@RD5 Thank you for your response and for the spelling correction.  I knew you were "write" as soon as I "red" it.   ;)   I am specifically looking for something that I wouldn't have to hold.  For some reason I can't quite picture myself in a monocle - I would be 1/3 of the way to being the Monopoly man, missing only the top hat and cigar.

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
@Salman Khattak  Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.  Jean, above, mentioned this method as well.  I'll come back in a few days and let you all know how it worked.  I bought some 2.5's today at the drugstore!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 01:57:12 AM »
@Salman Khattak  Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.  Jean, above, mentioned this method as well.  I'll come back in a few days and let you all know how it worked.  I bought some 2.5's today at the drugstore!

@lizabetht - I don't think these are the ones Jean mentioned - here is a link https://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/en_CA/Product-Show?pid=10183194   - they cost around $13, are quite light and flip up when you don't need them.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »
@Salman Khattak  Thank you for pointing out the difference, Salman, and for including the link.  This does look very convenient.  I'm definitely going to try these, too.

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
@Salman Khattak @jeanwilson Hi All.  I want to thank you for your replies to my question.  I want to try the clip on magnifiers from Michael's that Salman suggested.  I have to drive a ways to get to a Michael's and am waiting for the convenient time to pop in there when I'm in the area. 

In the meantime, I did get the drug store magnifiers to put over my regular glasses and they do work.  I have to work a bit to get them in the right spot but once adjusted they work fine.  Thank you, Jean.  Thank you one and all!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi Everyone!  Happy Holidays! 

I was watching an Instagram video (masgrimes) where he was retouching some calligraphy.  It was extremely close-up and I could see that the letters were not extra large - just a regular size - there was no measurement but the end of the nib was quite large in the video.  I think he must've been using some type of magnifier and I was thinking that I need a magnifier.  I looked at the kind that is a lamp with a round magnifier attached to the lamp but I was thinking that it might be better to wear a headpiece with lights and magnifiers on it - like the type that jewelers wear. 

Has anyone tried this?  If you use a magnifier, could you tell me which one and what you think the pros and cons are?    There was a thread on this from 2015 but without much information.

Thanks!  Liz
@lizabetht
Hi Liz,
This is what I use mainly for touchup work on small x-height pieces. I don't wear glasses, but it looks like it would fit over glasses.
Plusses:
lighted
comes with 4 or five different lenses of varying strengths
not expensive
hinged, so you can move it out of the way without taking it off
adjustable headband
portable, unlike those on a stand.

the only negative I think is the fact that the higher the magnification, the closer you have to be to the work in order to focus, which may be true of all of them.

Mine is unbranded, but is most similar to the first Carson one you see here.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lighted+magnifier+headband&sprefix=lighted+magnifier%2Caps%2C136&crid=13P1JI3MA9ZFD

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
@Anasazi  Thank you so much.  I never would've understood without the picture.  It really does look great!  I've already added it to my cart!!  haha!  Thank you for the link.  I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:47:51 PM by lizabetht »

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »
@AnasaziWrites  I just put the batteries into my Carson Magnivisor Deluxe.  (Link at the bottom.)  At this time, it is $32.99 and I love it already.  It is more expensive than some of the alternatives,  but it really is great.  I think it will also come in handy for any precise work for household projects.  There are 4 different strengths of detachable lenses.  The light source can be popped out of the headpiece and used as a stand-alone light on your table - pointed directly at your work.  It also has a magnetic backing.  It is eligible for your designated charity as an Amazon smile donation.  There is a video on the product page at Amazon that you should watch.  There is another video on YouTube and I think that is for a newer or upgraded version of this light.  That YouTube video lists some uses for the different strengths of the lenses.

I can keep the magnifier glasses I bought at the drugstore in my tote bag which is designated for to the San Diego Fellow Calligraphers meetings, so I am happy to have those also.  My thanks to everyone who took the trouble to respond; I really appreciate you!

You can find it here:  https://smile.amazon.com/Optical-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-Different/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=Carson+Magnivisor+Deluxe&qid=1550109458&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull