Author Topic: Hunt 101 vs Zebra G  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
Hunt 101 vs Zebra G
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »
Hello, everyone, it's Myles Ink. here.

Today in the spotlight we have the Hunt 101 and the Zebra G.

Both are pointed nibs and most straight and oblique holder can accept these nibs without a problem.

The Hunt 101 is made in the USA and it is available for around $2 CDN. It is a remarkably flexible nib that is very suitable for ornamental penmanship, English Roundhand, and Engrosser's hand. The hairline is exceptionally fine and sharp, however, due to this factor, a delicate hand is required to handle this nib. If your hand is on the heavier side, it will splatter occasionally. Hunt 101 is a fragile nib, however, this can be forgiven considering its dramatic swells. When attempting Spencerian, this nib is reserved for oblique penholders. On the other hand, English Roundhand is approachable in a straight holder, but you must be very elegant and soft when handling the letters. The 101 is the go-to nib for professional fine work.

The Zebra G is manufactured in Tokyo and it is available for 2.60 for 1 CDN. The G nib is intended for manga artists but many Western penmen may find it very exceptional. It is exceptionally smooth and precise. The Zebra is exclusively outstanding for Spencerian hand, but it also performs wonderfully with Roundhand and Engrosser's script. This is very tolerant to heavy handed writers. If you have not trained your hand yet to write with fine delicacy, this pen will guide you to find the proper pressure in script writing. When attempting Spencerian, this is an ideal nib. the downstrokes for 'p' and the upstrokes for 't' follow the design of this pen. Simply put, this pen will give the desired strokes for Spencerian letters. Writing with a Straight holder for Spencerian is viable, however, using an oblique holder will give you almost the butter-on-hot-knife experience. This pen is recommended for beginning penmen. If you have just jumped in into script writing, buy a dozen of this pen. Nothing negative will be coming from this pen.

Both the 101 and the Zebra G are masterful instruments, but my favor bends towards the 101 just for the style of the script that I pursue.  However, the Zebra G will never be a disappointment. All contemporary penmen must acquire these two pens, for they are the pinnacles of modern pen manufacture. In addition, they are very accessible practice nibs that is available in some local stores and online for sure. Give them a try!

Please leave a comment on your opinion on these nibs and suggest future topics that I should review. Thank you for your attention and pen on!
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
Re: Hunt 101 vs Zebra G
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing this!

I am quite new to pointed pen calligraphy and still have a bit of a heavy hand (but it's getting better!). I find the contrast between the thin & thick lines of the Hunt101 very pretty.
For me the nib is still quite difficult to write with when I use Sumi Ink for example. But I love using the nib in combination with Finetec! Somehow I don't have difficulties with the nib then.

I don't have a Zebra G nib yet. But I do practice a lot with the Tachikawa G (my favourite) and the Nikko G. What are, in your opinion, the differences between these 3 nibs?
I like the Tachikawa more than the Nikko, but don't really know why....

Regards,
Simone

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:09:24 AM »
I'm the same as Simmone, I love the hunt 101 with finetec, but not with walnut or regular inks, it seems to splurge on down strokes, and hairlines aren't as hairline as they should be.
I continually go back to my Baignol and Farjon Incomparable, and my zebra or Nikko G nibs, maybe it's a comfort thing, I don't know, I'm also not a fan of the leonardt ef either and don't even get me started on the Gillott 303 ha ha ha  :)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Hunt 101 is the first nib I used when first starting to learn as it was one of the only ones available at my local art store. I've tried the G line (Zebra, Nikko, Tachikawa), and in my hand I don't like them very much because of the lack of flexibility. That said, I haven't tried them in over a year...my hand has changed a lot. I think it is time to revisit some old nibs, which I think is really important to do: revisit different nibs once or twice a year as our skill levels progress. I now have Friday night plans. Thank you for the reminder! :)

And I'm very curious now about the Hunt-Finetec combo. Something else for me to try. Thanks for the tip @Simone Lettering!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:02:33 AM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm the same as Simmone, I love the hunt 101 with finetec, but not with walnut or regular inks, it seems to splurge on down strokes, and hairlines aren't as hairline as they should be.
I continually go back to my Baignol and Farjon Incomparable, and my zebra or Nikko G nibs, maybe it's a comfort thing, I don't know, I'm also not a fan of the leonardt ef either and don't even get me started on the Gillott 303 ha ha ha  :)

Sarah, glad to read you have the same experience with the Hunt 101 and that it's not just me  ;)
And the Gillott 303, oh yes, that one is a challenge for me too.... When I see people writing with it, it looks so beautiful and easy, but the nib catches the paper so easily (at least that's what happens too me..)

I have some vintage nibs being send to me (together with an ergonomic oblique  :D ) and can't wait to give the, a try!

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
You're welcome @Starlee  :)
Here you can see on of my pieces done with Finetec & the Hunt 101:
https://instagram.com/p/BPhP15HDlpN/

And curious to know how you are experiencing the G nibs now!

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »

Sarah, glad to read you have the same experience with the Hunt 101 and that it's not just me  ;)
And the Gillott 303, oh yes, that one is a challenge for me too.... When I see people writing with it, it looks so beautiful and easy, but the nib catches the paper so easily (at least that's what happens too me..)

I have some vintage nibs being send to me (together with an ergonomic oblique  :D ) and can't wait to give the, a try!

Awesome @Simone Lettering let me know which vintage you try and how you like them.
I think I'm just a royal pain, and get comfortable with certain nibs ha ha. It makes me unsettled trying new nibs  :D

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing this!

I am quite new to pointed pen calligraphy and still have a bit of a heavy hand (but it's getting better!). I find the contrast between the thin & thick lines of the Hunt101 very pretty.
For me the nib is still quite difficult to write with when I use Sumi Ink for example. But I love using the nib in combination with Finetec! Somehow I don't have difficulties with the nib then.

I don't have a Zebra G nib yet. But I do practice a lot with the Tachikawa G (my favourite) and the Nikko G. What are, in your opinion, the differences between these 3 nibs?
I like the Tachikawa more than the Nikko, but don't really know why....

Regards,
Simone

The Zebra G is the smoothest of the bunch, while Nikko G being more flexible and vulnerable to splatters. The Tachikawa G has the characteristics of the two nibs, except that it doesn't splatter, and holds a considerable amount of ink. The Tachikawa is an elegant nib and I can relate for your favour towards the Tachikawa
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 02:57:26 AM »
Well, Sarah,then just enjoy your favourite ones for a while!
My vintage nibs should arrive somewhere next week.... Of course I will share my experience  :D
@Tales from the Nib

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 03:00:07 AM »
Thanks for explaining @Myles Ink Calligraphy !
I certainly will buy the Zebra G too in the future. Kind of curious to experience the differences  :D