Author Topic: How To Reply to a Specific Posting?  (Read 520 times)

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
How To Reply to a Specific Posting?
« on: March 09, 2023, 08:37:13 PM »
I'm seeing only one "Reply" button per thread, which is located at the top of the thread, but I don't know where in the thread my reply will end up?
How do I go about replying to a specific posting in that thread, without having to quote the posting I'm wanting to reply to?
Other forums I have known,  have a reply button under each posting in a thread, so I'm kind of lost here, lol...
Thanks in advance,
Mark M
Lol....do my questions even make sense?

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: How To Reply to a Specific Posting?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 10:29:19 PM »
@Mark M

Yes, your questions make complete sense!  As far as I understand, there isn’t a way to do replies “tied” to a specific post. Your replies within a given forum topic will simply appear in chronological order by date and time within that topic.

The “quoting” option is really about the best way to respond more specifically to what someone has posted.  What I like to do, if the quoted posting is lengthy or a combination of ideas, is only leave the relevant portion I’m responding to in the quote.  I’ll often add ellipses (…) before and after the excerpted phrase to indicate I’ve removed part of it.

Just the limitations of this particular online forum engine. 

Another thing you can do in your reply is insert a member’s username which may then alert them of the “mention” on your post.  I did this at the beginning of this reply so you may see what it looks like.  To do this, insert the following “code” in your reply:

BRACKETmember=10251BRACKETMark MBRACKET/memberBRACKET where BRACKET is the opening closing “square bracket” characters and 10251 in this example is the member ID for Mark M. 

How do you find the member’s ID? There’s probably a simple way that I haven’t yet learned, so I do it the stupid way by righ mouse button on the member’s “link”, selecting “copy URL” and then paste it into notepad or word or some other writing software.  When doing that on your username, this is what it looks like: “https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=10251“

Since we’re on the topic, I’d love to know how other members do this!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:38:58 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 07:44:42 AM »
@Zivio @Mark M

Actually, all you have to do is type the at symbol and start typing the user name. A list of users with the same spelling will pop up, narrowing down as you add letters.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 10:36:34 AM »
@Zivio @Mark M

Actually, all you have to do is type the at symbol and start typing the user name. A list of users with the same spelling will pop up, narrowing down as you add letters.

Haha — but of course!  ;D  Or, do it the “stupid way” which I never will do again. THANKS!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 12:49:32 PM »
Love our members! Thank you for responding @Zivio and @darrin1200 !

You’ve figured it out … there is only one reply button and it automatically replies in order so the reply will appear at the end of the thread. If you want to reply to something specific someone said, you can either use the “quote”  or the @ as mentioned.

It’s a bit different from say a thread on Facebook where you can reply to a single post. In this format, it keeps the thread in chronological order and you don’t miss anyone’s response.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
Thank you, all who replied; Y'all are so very supportive and helpful...!
Mark M