Author Topic: So focused I misspell words?  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Sarahforhim

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
So focused I misspell words?
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:41:02 PM »
I am a little under a year into calligraphy and I get so focused on making my letters perfect that I often misspell easy words or leave them out. This is my 3rd time doing the attached project and I am getting discouraged. I misspelled squealing!

Any tips on correcting this would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: So focused I misspell words?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
You are not the only one - this is a common problem with Calligraphers. One is so focused on the lettering that these kinds of mistakes creep in. I did just that only last night :-)

One way to avoid mistakes like these is to write out your text very lightly in pencil first. This works when you know what your spacing would be like and can replicate it with a pencil. And before you ask - no, this is not cheating - the great masters did it too :-)

Another option is to write out your composition on a practice sheet. This allows you to work out any spacing/centering issues ahead of time. Then fold the paper at each line and place it above the line you are going to write - now just copy the text and you are far less likely to make mistakes.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:52:02 PM »
. And before you ask - no, this is not cheating - the great masters did it too :-)

Another option is to write out your composition on a practice sheet. This allows you to work out any spacing/centering issues ahead of time. Then fold the paper at each line and place it above the line you are going to write - now just copy the text and you are far less likely to make mistakes.

Your Absolutely right. Master Penman Jake Weidmann writes it lightly with a pencil before putting ink down sometimes. I misspell all the time, I have even spelled my own name wrong because I was so enthralled in the forms, I am ashamed.   

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
I have even spelled my own name wrong because I was so enthralled in the forms, I am ashamed.
Hahaha :D me too!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:49:32 AM by sisterofdream »
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »
Yes, I did this once many years ago in the middle of a big poster-sized piece. The mistake is still there -- no way was I going to start over. When the monks make mistakes on real calf-skin vellum, they would turn the mistake into a design (a little animal or something).

Back when I was in school, some small mistakes could be fixed with a typewriter eraser (can you even get those anymore?) or gently scraping with an exacto knife. I've fixed some pointed pen errors by painting over it with white guache, waiting for it to dry thoroughly, and then writing over it. (But not for anything as large as a whole word.) Covering the word with black paint might be your only hope in this case, but I'd like to see what more experienced pointed pen calligaphers have to say.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:44:11 AM by Lori M »

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
Yes, I did this once many years ago in the middle of a big poster-sized piece. The mistake is still there -- no way was I going to start over. When the monks make mistakes on real calf-skin vellum, they would turn the mistake into a design (a little animal or something).

Back when I was in school, some small mistakes could be fixed with a typewriter eraser (can you even get those anymore?) or gently scraping with an exacto knife. I've fixed some pointed pen errors by painting over it with white guache, waiting for it to dry thoroughly, and then writing over it. (But not for anything as large as a whole word.) Covering the word with black paint might be your only hope in this case, but I'd like to see what more experienced pointed pen calligaphers have to say.

Lori, I use typewriter erasers ALL the time to erase mistakes!  They are widely available & still have the attached little brush!  I find that they work better for me than any other type of eraser (including an electric eraser).

@ the original poster:  We all make those types of mistakes!  I recently misspelled the name of my own town on an envelope!  There is a terrific thread on the Forum where Ken shows how he fixes mistakes.  It was super helpful to me & I have adopted a lot of his suggested techniques!  I think the thread contains a link that shows how someone else (Schin??  Joi??) fixes mistakes & it was super helpful, too! 

Brad's advice regarding using a folded guide is a good one!  Thank you for that, Brad!

Offline Lori M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
I just saw this thread on electric erasers this morning:  Electric erasers.  Note that Janis still prefers typewriter erasers, though. (I've never had any experience with the electric ones myself.)

What's held me off on using erasers for pointed pen is that the nibs are so sensitive to paper texture, and erasers rough it up. Is that ever an issue?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:07:44 PM by Lori M »

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Brad's advice regarding using a folded guide is a good one!  Thank you for that, Brad!

I'm not Brad but you are welcome just the same :-)

Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
i misspell all.the.time.  or leave a word out.  hence my pile of scrape paper used for random practice.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »
Sorry, Salman!  See what happens when I focus too hard?!  ;D

With regard to the texture after I erase, I follow Ken's advice!  I use a little piece of glassine paper & put it over the spot where I erased.  Then, I rub the glassine over the spot with the back of a spoon.  It seems to get the spot to settle right back down!  I've not had any trouble getting ink to not spread or feather on the spot.

I also have been first using a scalpel to remove the ink, as suggested by Ken.  Then, I use the typewriter eraser.  I finish with the glassine paper. I got the glassine sheets & the scalpels on Amazon!  (The glassine sheets are about 2 inches square & are called "weighing papers".   Not sure what they think I might weigh with them!)

Offline Lori M

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
I also have been first using a scalpel to remove the ink, as suggested by Ken.  Then, I use the typewriter eraser.  I finish with the glassine paper. I got the glassine sheets & the scalpels on Amazon!  (The glassine sheets are about 2 inches square & are called "weighing papers".   Not sure what they think I might weigh with them!)

Janis, is the scalpel the same thing as an exacto/craft knife, or is it something different?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
It's an honest-to-God scalpel!  Like docs use!!  Ken can buy them in craft stores in Scotland, but we just have X-acto knives, etc.  Ken is the boss of me, as he's an expert & I'm a self-taught learner! So, when he said scalpel, there's zero chance I'm not going to use a scalpel!  They were pretty cheap on Amazon & come with a handy shield guard to keep me from accidentally killing myself (so far, anyway!).  Find that thread (started by Ken, I believe), as it had great info. & Ken included photos of his correction process!  Very, very helpful!

Offline Sarahforhim

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »
Thank you all for the tips! I read Kens thread. Super helpful! I tried painting the background black/using a permanent marker and tried black ink to cover the white before I posted on here. I did not have a scalpel on hand but had never thought of scraping off the ink before now. I used a razor blade, an old nib and a staedtler eraser. I will be purchasing a scalpel and glassline paper asap.

Here is the completed project. I had to fix the word squealing.

Thanks again!

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
I misspell everytimeeee  :'(

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
Great job with the revision!  It looks really good!

Janis