Author Topic: Calligraphy... on vacation?  (Read 7337 times)

Offline theturquoisecardinal

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • The Turquoise Cardinal
Re: Calligraphy... on vacation?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:30 AM »
I have been playing around with travel kits now and it's been fun! I'll post a picture of my final version  :)
Modern Calligraphy + Watercolor Illustration + Designs. I like to create lovely things.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTurquoiseCardinal
https://www.facebook.com/theturquoisecardinal

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
Oh this is a good point!

Those who own a travel kit already could share pics of how they have arranged their little portable calligraphy kit as an inspiration in a separate thread, maybe? Just what works for them and with the supplies they find in her/his area. That would be good as a reference for those (like myself) who have never set up a portable kit.

Thanks!! <3

Hi all,
This is what I carry when I travel.  Fits nicely in my laptop bag and no hassles as carry on baggage in planes either.

Left to right….
Cotton carry case with inserts for fountain pens, holders and side pocket for a ruler, small bottles and nibs.

Eyedrop bottles, each with a different ink.  They are all 10ml bottles, so can carry a whole bunch.  Thanks to people in this forum,  the current favourite ink is, Walnut made from the crystals.  I have 4 shades of varying darkness of brown,.  Just love the ink

Small plastic spice jar for nibs with muslin rag.  Stops the nibs from jostling around during travel, and is convenient for cleaning nibs when writing.

Got 100 sheets of Tomoe river paper spiral bound (8” x 6”) and printed out 4 to 5 guide sheets of different letter heights.

4 paper clips to hold guide sheets in place.

Fully packed set

Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 04:28:24 AM »
Left to right….
Cotton carry case with inserts for fountain pens, holders and side pocket for a ruler, small bottles and nibs.

Thank you @prasad1970!
That carry case is lovely! I'll see if I can get one sewed from my mom as a b-day gift ;)
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline theturquoisecardinal

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • The Turquoise Cardinal
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »
This is great prasad1970! I love the idea of a roll-up case!
Modern Calligraphy + Watercolor Illustration + Designs. I like to create lovely things.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTurquoiseCardinal
https://www.facebook.com/theturquoisecardinal

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
Okay, it took me a while to get my act together to take photos, and the ones I took ended up being quite terrible anyway, but there's not much natural light at 11pm in winter ...  ::)   :-*

Here is my travel kit!  And over at my blog I took a million photos and described all the things ... it seems I like talking about calligraphy toys? (You would never know, judging by how many posts I make here ... *blush*)

And of course I take practice paper too!  Oh man, you write a million words, but you forget to mention the paper ... good work, Moya, top of the class.  :-\ ;D

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
I just wanted to thank you all so much for this post! Since I started learning calligraphy I don't want to be a day without supplies. On my last trip I brought my ink and it spilled though the plastic bag onto my sweatpants (thank god it wasn't something nicer).

I always take a tiny "travel kit" on holiday - omg what if I had a CALLIGRAPHY EMERGENCY (allcaps!) and didn't have any supplies?? Disaster!

I am dying laughing at this because it is exactly how I feel.  : ;D :D ;D

I am leaving in the morning for my brothers wedding and I am frantically trying to figure out how I'm going to bring ink with me, get it though security and without spilling.

Eyedrop bottles, each with a different ink.  They are all 10ml bottles, so can carry a whole bunch.  Thanks to people in this forum,  the current favourite ink is, Walnut made from the crystals.  I have 4 shades of varying darkness of brown,.  Just love the ink

This is fantastic, I am definitely using this idea!!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
If you invest in an ink stick and a stone - you can avoid traveling with any liquid at all. Just grind your ink as needed. It's very easy and the ink is wonderful.