Author Topic: Day 17 - 2022: SALTY  (Read 584 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 17 - 2022: SALTY
« on: October 17, 2022, 12:40:14 AM »
Salty.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
Re: Day 17 - 2022: SALTY
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 03:13:44 AM »
@Zivio that second S is really balanced, the spacing between the loops seem just right. Love it!
Oh crêpe!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
One from a set of four glasses from a local restaurant I collected in 1979 (still have all four).
Micron 04 pen, Maldon sea salt.

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:03:15 PM »
Oh shoot!  Just realized I missed a perfect opportunity to share the salty goodness of this local delicacy on today’s Inktober.  But wait, there are no (few?) rules, so likely no prohibition on multiple entries. Plus, I’d hoped to try some brush pens.  I have no idea how to use this Pentel Fude, soft floppy pen, but gave it a shot.

Attribution (and apologies) to @AnasaziWrites's delightful ideas, here is Salicornia virginica* foraged at the Willapa Bay mud flats. With butter, sesame oil, pinches of sugar, pepper, chili powder. Was delicious on plain rice!

* AKA Pickleweed,
AKA Sea Beans,
AKA Sea Pickle,
AKA Chicken Claws,
AKA Sea Asparagus,
AKA Glasswort,
AKA Picklegrass,
AKA Marsh Samphire,
AKA Saltwort,
AKA Chicken Toe …

Whew! So many aliases, but
my favorite is:

AKA Tétines de Souris (mouse tits!

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 06:30:40 PM »
Here's my entry!

We had a major health scare for our daughter this weekend, so I took a couple of days off calligraphy (I'm French, I go on strike sometimes. Take that, Universe!).
Further testing is reassuring, so the pressure has considerably gone down tonight.

Today I have been practicing layout (sort of) and picking the variations I prefer from two different styles of French Roundhand (living dangerously). And I'm trying real hard to get the spacing right, but I get distracted  ::)

The lyrics are from the sweet song by Josh Pyke called "The Summer". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ABbLlKTlw
And it's all about the salty air :)

@Zivio you almost had me fooled haha, I thought this was Anasazi's entry. Great job and yummy meal!

@AnasaziWrites I'm always excited about what you're going to come up with. Your entries are a treat every day!

Oh crêpe!

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 09:17:37 PM »
@Lucie Y Thanks for the introduction to Josh Pyke’s music via the lyrics shared today with your gorgeous Roundhand.  That script, and your execution of it is magical!

Loved the video – genius!  I’ve often remarked that I wish there were a way to bottle the redolence of certain things I smell on the breezes, so the lyrics touched me. And I’ve recently written a few letters and enclosed tiny, tiny plastic bags of sand as a way to share our beach experiences, so there’s that too.

Enjoying your offerings, and regular encouragement – it means a  lot.  Grateful, with you, for the "reassuring testing" and reduced pressures. Wishing you and family every comfort and joy.   

~Karl

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 09:24:34 PM »
@Lucie Y - I hope your daughter will be well soon!  What lovely work you're showing today though.  I hope it helped you take your mind off things for a bit.

Very clever @Zivio -- We have those plants around here too.  They're crunchy!  I agree with the sentiments about your "S" - great proportions!

@AnasaziWrites - I'm taking your 1979 Popeye the Sailor Man (a salty old salt) reference and raising you another retro classic: SEA MONKEYS.  Which I also had in the 1970s.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - I'm taking your 1979 Popeye the Sailor Man (a salty old salt) reference and raising you another retro classic: SEA MONKEYS.  Which I also had in the 1970s.
@K-2
I remember those sea monkeys--you could grow them at home. Very nice rendition.
I think maybe artists have a leg up when it comes to learning a new script. Your copperplate is advancing at a remarkable clip. Well done.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »
Oh so much calligraphy goodness! @Zivio I am in love with your first S! And the seaweed made me laugh!
@Lucie Y So sorry the hear about your daughter - I hope she is on the mend.
@K2 - LOVE sea monkeys - or at least the idea of them. True confession - I cried when I hatched mine and realized they were really just brine shrimp! and I agree with Mike whole heartedly - every day remarkable improvement!
@AnasaziWrites - I remember those glasses! We had something similar except I think they came from Burger King. What a great interpretation! Your creativity is off the charts.

I struggled with this word. However, I fell in love with the S variation from James Farrell. The lowercase l is also inspired by his work.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 01:13:15 PM »
Forgot to mention @Lucie Y This is my favorite work of yours to date. The words are just gorgeous and your french roundhand is absolutely beautiful!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »

GaryL

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 10:07:00 AM »
Oh shoot!  Just realized I missed a perfect opportunity to share the salty goodness of this local delicacy on today’s Inktober.  But wait, there are no (few?) rules, so likely no prohibition on multiple entries. Plus, I’d hoped to try some brush pens.  I have no idea how to use this Pentel Fude, soft floppy pen, but gave it a shot.

Attribution (and apologies) to @AnasaziWrites's delightful ideas, here is Salicornia virginica* foraged at the Willapa Bay mud flats. With butter, sesame oil, pinches of sugar, pepper, chili powder. Was delicious on plain rice!

* AKA Pickleweed,
AKA Sea Beans,
AKA Sea Pickle,
AKA Chicken Claws,
AKA Sea Asparagus,
AKA Glasswort,
AKA Picklegrass,
AKA Marsh Samphire,
AKA Saltwort,
AKA Chicken Toe …

Whew! So many aliases, but
my favorite is:

AKA Tétines de Souris (mouse tits!

AKA Salicorne here in France. Wonderful!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:00:42 PM by Erica McPhee »