Author Topic: A few odd questions on ink...  (Read 1434 times)

Offline JonB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A few odd questions on ink...
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Clearly when using a pen, it is ideal that the ink dries when you are done writing.  Something about it not smearing and remaining ledgeble as I recall.

However, I live in Las Vegas.  Currently it is around 105F outside, and while that's not the same case in the winter time, one thing that is missing here is humidity.   It's so dry that on a hot day you can pour a glass of water and watch it drink itself.

Assuming I keep the lids properly tightened and all, should I expect any difference in shelf life of certain inks?  Does super low humidity affect performance in a way that someone new like myself should watch for?
(for reference: these things come to mind because I've worked with painting metal with an airbrush, and the dryness and heat greatly affect what additives should and shouldn't be used with a given paint type)
Also, are there any paint types that are recommended over others for people who prefer to write slower?   Are inks measured for viscosity at all?
(this would be ink used in an oblique pen with G nibs)

Offline DavePete

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: A few odd questions on ink...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »
Interesting questions. You will likely need to test some inks yourself, but a few ideas. Go to your local art supply stores and talk with them. They may be able to help.

I personally like JetPens,com website. They have lots of informational videos which may or may not address the particulars of your questions. 

Good Luck !
Read, Think, Write, Create

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
@schin Any thoughts on this question? Is this something the Vegas guild has talked about?  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
I am not sure about high humidity, but drying ink has been an issue. I guess the simplest thing is to add distilled water with a eyedropper. That has been used to adjust the fluidity of inks so they flow better. Some inks also just dry faster, in fact ink drying too fast was the reason Herman Zapf used stick ink.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »
Hey I live in Vegas too and definitely understand your concern.
I use bottled sumi ink mostly and always decant and dilute with about 30% water into a covered but not airtight inkwell. When I get back to writing the next day, I always add a few more drops of water using an eyedropper. Sometimes I don't get to write for over a week, and the sumi ink would harden into a black solid mass that i have to pick out with pliers! If you use an airtight inkwell then it'll help, though I'd still add water once in awhile. I have the same experience with iron gall and walnut ink. I use gouache from time to time, but I give up trying to save the leftover ink.

It's worse if you do gilding, the size dries so quickly it's very difficult to apply the gold leaf. Some tinkering with the formula is involved. And don't get me started on oil painting!

Good luck!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
@JonB  Does this help?  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JonB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for the answers.  This does help.   It would seem I don't have to worry about it as much as I thought.