Author Topic: Calligraphy on Leather  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Calligraphy on Leather
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
Hi!

Just got an inquiry to work with a stationer to do calligraphy on leather envelopes for a styled shoot.

Does anyone have experience with writing on leather?  What kind of ink works?  Acrylic?  Anything I need to know about nib choice?

Thanks friends!!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Calligraphy on Leather
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
I've learned that it totally depends on the leather and how it's treated.  I was able to use Bleedproof White on some leather strips from Michaels, but then I got some GORGEOUS Italian leather for another project that wouldn't take anything consistently.  I think acrylic might have worked best.  I've been able to use a variety of nibs- it's more of the ink that's finicky.  Good luck! :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
You could try using one of these hot foil pens! I've recently acquired one and it's quite a charming effect. But probably lots more expensive, than normal writing, because the foil is not cheap and it also takes more time than normal writing. But I imagine for a styled shoot that wouldn't be such an issue?!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!  I'm excited to try it out...I'll let ya'll know what I end up doing!

The hot foil idea is definitely on my list to try at some point...maybe this summer!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram