Author Topic: Time to go bankrupt :) Need help...  (Read 7076 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Time to go bankrupt :) Need help...
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »
I know what you mean, I gave up on the hourglass as well due to unavailibility. I use a Ziller and have had no problem with G nibs and EF Principal Nib. I have made no adjustments to mine ( maybe got lucky). Was told by John Neal they would fit and another responce from his employer saying that I would have to get a different holder.  But I will definitely upgrade to a nicer holder one day.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
INK

I use Speedball Acrylic ink for certain stuff, because of the color.  There are other brands of acrylic ink also. 

Thanks for the advice Gary.
Just one question...

Is the speedball Acrylic Ink the same as the ink/paint used for airbrushing?  The paints that you get in tubes are very thick and have to be watered down with a thinner.  The Airbrush Acrylic paint, though, is much more fluid. 

Thanks
Prasad

No the Speedball Acrylic ink comes in a bottle, NOT a tube.
I think it is labeled as ink.  I got mine at the local Michaels craft store, and it was next to the Higgins Eternal ink.
This is the the ink
http://www.paperinkarts.com/spdlrg.html
Gary

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 05:55:52 PM »
Re. the nib holders being on backorder at PIA:  I have found that they are EXCELLENT at keeping track of their backorders.  They offer a discount for the purchase of 100 nibs at a time & I ordered 100 Brause 66EF nibs, which were on backorder.  They called me to tell me that they were going to ship them when they got them in.  I expressed my concern that they'd forget about me and I was reassured that they would NOT forget me.  Sure enough, a month or so later, I got a notice that the nibs were in stock, so I paid for them & they shipped them right away.

Re. the hourglass nib holder, I have have one and really love it.  It is very light and I like using it.  I got a Christopher Yoke nib holder from my children for Mother's Day this year and I just treasure it!  It's a work of art!  I think the guy who makes the hourglass nib holder at PIA is the same guy who makes the brass inkwells with the screw tops and also makes custom ink for PIA.  He works in a machine shop somewhere on the US eastern seaboard.  I'd sure like to meet that guy!  WHO makes ink??!!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 06:35:37 PM »
I think the guy who makes the hourglass nib holder at PIA is the same guy who makes the brass inkwells with the screw tops and also makes custom ink for PIA.  He works in a machine shop somewhere on the US eastern seaboard.  I'd sure like to meet that guy!  WHO makes ink??!!

As far as I know the hourglass holder was designed by Joe Vitolo. The McCaffrey's ink and inkwell is made by Neil McCaffrey, who is the treasurer of Iampeth.. I think.. I don't know if he makes the hourglass though! Will you be at Iampeth? He'll be there :)!!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
Whoa!  :o 100 66EFs is impressive  8) I should buy more than two at a time, I break them quite fast just switching them out

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
@Schin:  I think you're right about who designed the hourglass nib holders, but who is actually MAKING them??  And, you're right about the man who makes ink and the brass inkwells.  I didn't know that he was an officer of IAMPETH.  I learned about this year's IAMPETH too late to register. - All of the classes I wanted were filled.  I am going to try to jump on board next year!  Do you know where it will be held next year?  I assume that it moves around the country?

@Heebs:  I do LOVE a discount!  I know that I'll use up the 100 at some point, so it's not like they're going to go to waste!  There's no expiration date on nibs! :-)  The discount for buying 100 wasn't THAT much, but it was something!  And, I'm addressing the invitations for the sister-in-law of my daughter this summer & was trying to stock up on supplies, so I wouldn't have to stop addressing while waiting on supplies.  After I ordered, she decided that she wants me to do her invitations in Italic, so now I'm shopping for completely different supplies!  But, that's pretty much how my life goes...   ???

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
They are a great little nib and the convention will be held in Tennessee next year (Nashville I believe).

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Oh, I hope that it IS going to be in Nashville!  I've never been there & would love to go!!   ;D