Author Topic: Blackletter/Fraktur - where to start?  (Read 15500 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Blackletter/Fraktur - where to start?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
Yes, I also use the original cartridges and refill them with a syringe would be great to have converters for that!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
I use the Pilot CON-50 Piston Converter, I have them on two of my parallels and they fit perfectly. The only time they come off is when I want to switch inks and have to flush the whole pen.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
That converter is pretty cool. I myself refill the actual cartridge with a syringe like Estefa.  I have seen someone fill the whole backend with ink , but I would make a mess doing that.   

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »
Haha yes, that's what tends to happen. I used to keep one loaded with black ink that way and all was well until I overtightened and cracked the plastic  :o

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
That's what I just did, Brad - filled the entire barrel (no cartridge at all) with walnut ink and it works beautifully! I keep most of my bottled inks and distilled water in glass eyedropper bottles anyway, so it wasn't messy at all. I also very lightly coated the threads with microglaze for leak prevention.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
I use the Pilot CON-50 Piston Converter, I have them on two of my parallels and they fit perfectly. The only time they come off is when I want to switch inks and have to flush the whole pen.
That's great! Thanks for the information.

Ken

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
That's what I just did, Brad - filled the entire barrel (no cartridge at all) with walnut ink and it works beautifully! I keep most of my bottled inks and distilled water in glass eyedropper bottles anyway, so it wasn't messy at all. I also very lightly coated the threads with microglaze for leak prevention.

I just did not want to do the " o rings" and grease. I keep all my old cartridge's to refill with sumi ink.
I don't know what to really buy anyways.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »
I think the Parallel Pens work nicely with Rohrer & Klingner Writing Ink ;). I'll try it with walnut ink, that sounds like a lovely idea too!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline JostenD

• View Profile
    • Josten Dooley Design
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
Heebs, since you mentioned Pilot Parallel pens...

I have never been able to get a nice sharp entry and exit points with mine. I learned broad pen using the Brause set and I just find the Parallel pens too "inky." Maybe there's a trick to getting the nice and sharp lines? But I haven't been able to & it's so frustrating. :-\ Everytime I practice Blackletter I have to get my easel out and it's so fiddly to wash/clean the nibs and reservoirs. I know, I'm a lazy calligrapher...

I've been able to get crisper and sharper lines
here's my attempt at Fraktur capitals http://instagram.com/p/m8ujFpigO1/

One thing I do is to keep a scrap piece of paper and make a line using the full width of the nib to make sure its inked. Another thing if you find parallel pens to be a bit inky it may be the weight of paper your using?
Instagram.com/JostenDooley

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
To get clean entrance/exit strokes I think you have to make sure that you are writing on the nib, and not on the underside on the nib... I read this in Gillian Hazeldine's book, Contemporary Calligraphy (this book doesn't cover Gothic styles though). I'm often sloppy and write on the underside... and it shows... but today I've been seriously correcting myself and I can see an improvement.
I like your sharpness, Josten... that's what I'm trying to achieve!
Meanwhile, I have tried the parallel pen... they are okay, but they are not my favourites.

Offline Jakmo1935

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:50 AM »
Thank you for the kind words Linda  :)

I have never taken a formal class in Blackletter but I became fascinated with Fraktur in particular and so began my obsession with the broad-edge pen   ::)

I don't do much (as in almost none) of the illuminated/illustrated fraktur, however, I love textura. I am a big fan of Luca Barcellona so much of my early exposure was to his contemporary takes on Fraktur and other calligraphy and most of what I have learned has come from looking at work online and breaking down the strokes and methods. Since I havent found a book dedicated to Fraktur, in the same in-depth instructional style as the Copperplate/Spencerian ones, I have looked at general calligraphy books that happen to include Fraktur. One of my favorites is The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques (Used hardcover for $6-8  ;)). It goes through different alphabets in a stroke by stroke breakdown without becoming mundane. The Art of Calligraphy & Lettering is a similar book which also goes through some basics and has a good number of examples while Color Decoration & Illumination in Calligraphy goes more into the decorative aspect.

One of my favorite books (in general, not just about Fraktur) is Fraktur Mon Amour. It's a beautiful Fraktur specimen book with over 300 font variations that range from traditional to contemporary. Check out a Google Image Search of the book contents, as a designer im a sucker for this stuff so I had to have it. You might enjoy it Linda if you havent seen it already  ;D

I would also consider investing in a Pilot Parallel pen or two, they come in four sizes from 1.5mm-6mm and are great for practicing anywhere as they are cartridge loaded.
On your recommendation I just purchased Fraktur-Mon Amour from Amazon. It sold for $23.00 used in good condition. 
a voice, crying in the wilderness.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Here's an example of one of my favourite Gothic variations. It's actually adapted from a computer font called "Tudor".

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
EDIT: Didn't see there was a second page of comments. Oh well, leaving for the link and example.

Can I ask where you got the converter to fit the pen? I have several converters and none of them are the right size to fit the Pilot Parallel.

Hey Ken! The converter that fits most Pilot pens (minus fountain pens with limited space within the actual housing) is called the CON-50 http://www.gouletpens.com/pn69899/p/PN69899

Keep in mind that certain inks (metallics, acrylics) will gum up the feed in parallel pens. I've definitely loaded my parallels with metallics, but a deep clean is required immediately after use, or you can end up ruining the feed. Example:

David Grimes Penman

Offline Wolf

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 02:43:58 PM »
I only used pilot Ink, but I clearly see the benifits of other inks. I don't know anything about ink. I don't want to ruin my parallel pen, so is there a type ink that I should get or avoid?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
I would suggest that you only use fountain pen ink in parallel pens, unless you don't mind deep-cleaning them after every use like David mentioned above. For thicker, pigment-rich inks like gouache, sumi, Bleedproof White, and metallics, your best bet is to use dip pens, automatic pens, or flat brushes that you can easily clean afterwards.