General Categories > Spencerian Script

Spencerian Signature

(1/2) > >>

Ken Fraser:
Signature - H G Warner

JanisTX:
That’s beautiful, but I can’t read it. - Isn’t the purpose of writing to communicate?? If I can’t read it, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of writing?? I’m trying to do better at clarifying my writing. (What’s the first letter?  I can read the surname, but the rest is unrecognizable to me!)

Zivio:

--- Quote from: JanisTX on May 21, 2024, 09:15:46 AM ---… Isn’t the purpose of writing to communicate?? If I can’t read it, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of writing?? …

--- End quote ---
These questions got me to thinking a bit philosophically this morning.

Seems to me that “communication” can have a depth of meaning. Certainly, “communicate one’s name” might be considered the highest level.  Add to that, though, other elements that might be communicated by an ornate signature like a person’s artistic creativity, unique personhood, authenticity of signed legal document, and skill with the pen! 

Many articles and advertisements in the old “Business Educator” journals laud the value of skilled penmanship both for the technical requirements of professional opportunities and what it says about the writer’s abilities. A beautiful signature might be seen as promoting these qualities.

But I’ve also seen opinions in various texts during the “Golden Age of Penmanship” decrying overly flourished writing! 

For me, I’ve been studying the ornamental Spencerian “signature writing” a lot more over the last six months, so I was immediately able to read “H G Warner” just as though I were reading a typed page.  It occurs to me that in the age when this was in vogue, the signatures would likely be just as easy to read and communicate the names as handily.  I once shared examples of this type of signature writing to my sister, and she had a very hard time reading them. 

I’d love to hear other’s thoughts on this topic!

TeresaS:
My husband has a harder time reading my copperplate, and I don’t do much flourishing.  There is one small flourish I use in front of my capital stem that he has commented on in particular.  He says it makes the letter look like a “y” and is confusing.  Once he said that I could see what he meant.  I do agree that it is sort of what you are used to seeing as to how easy it is to read.

Ken Fraser:

--- Quote from: JanisTX on May 21, 2024, 09:15:46 AM --- Isn’t the purpose of writing to communicate?? If I can’t read it, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of writing??

--- End quote ---
You're right, of course. The only purpose of writing is communication. Whilst I avoid over-flourishing of lettering, I like most Spencerian Majuscules and occasionally combine them with Copperplate minuscules. As I was aware thst this version of the latter H might cause a problem, I deliberately entitled thd piece Signarure - H G Warner in an attempt to avoid confusion.
Obviously, I wasn't sucessful and for this I apologise.
Also, I've just realised that I've posted this twice withinh the last  month - sorry!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version