Author Topic: introduction  (Read 884 times)

Offline toby perkins

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
introduction
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:27:38 PM »
New member from Worcester County, Maryland, the only county in Maryland with a sea coast. My primary interest here is Spencerian.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 08:44:10 PM »
Welcome Toby!

I have been to Maryland once - Annapolis. Beautiful area. I just finished a Spencerian class taught by Nina Tran. I have been doing Spencerian for 25 years and her class improved my hand so much!

Hope you find some interesting info here at Flourish.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:39:46 AM »
Hi Toby,

I am taking a 6 month course on Spencerian taught by Mike Ward. We start on January the 16th. It is hosted by The European Pointed Pen Collective. You can find more info in their web page: https://www.pointedpencollective.com/

Otherwise I am a newbie, also interested in Spencerian and very willing to share info, resources and (eventual) progress.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:58:36 AM »
Toby,

Welcome, from the coast opposite of you!

Offline toby perkins

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
Hi, all, Thank you for these wonderful replies. My house is about three miles west of the Maryland State Park on Assateague Island, a few miles farther north from Assateague National Seashore down Bayberry Drive from there, and about fifteen minutes' drive south of Ocean City, Maryland. I have been "doing" Spencerian for about eight years with spotty success and have taken two courses in it, as well as one course in Engrossers' Script. Calligraphy started for me, however, more than forty years ago with the Chancery hand. I own so many fountain pens modified for Italic I have lost count of them. Now I've lost count of my oblique penholders, too. Trazo, the course you are taking sounds excellent but a little elementary for me (at least in some of its parts--not as if we all couldn't use regular reviews of the basics.)

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 01:45:09 PM »
Sorry, Toby. I didn't know you were such an experienced Spencerian. We started last Saturday and we really started from the very beginning. However we are quite a big group and (for the initial presentations and the posts I have seen in their IG accounts) I can tell there are very good calligrapher among us. Hope they don't get bored, as there were other people asking how to prep a nib.

By the way, I'd love to see a picture of your fountain pens, at least of the ten of your collection. Fountain pens are lovely creatures...

Offline toby perkins

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:52:26 PM »
Sorry for the long delay in answering you, Trazo. Yes, I'm an EXPERIENCED Spencerian, but not a GOOD one. As for your request to see some of my pens, let me get back to you on that when I have more time. Maybe I can show a couple modified for Spencerian as well as a couple modified for Italic, and a sample from each.

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »
I will be looking forward. I am not in a hurry. Calligraphy is the master of patience  :)