General Categories > Show & Tell

Oscar Gift Cards - circa 2003

(1/5) > >>

Erica McPhee:
At least I think it was 2003?!  :o That time in my life was a big blur as my son was 2 and in the thick of autism. Anyway, I was thrilled when looking for some old documents today I came across these. I don't even remember taking these! (I was severely sleep deprived at that time.) In fact the day these were due, my son was hospitalized, we were stuck due to an ice storm, and I was running around the hospital trying to find a fed ex drop.  :o  Can you say "stress"?! But all is well that ends well!  ;D

These were gift cards that went to the Academy Award nominees. The cards were letterpressed in gold. Then I hand painted the edges in gold (spectralite 24k I think). I wrapped each one with a silk ribbon I handprinted with their names on the gocco printer. Then I wrapped them in glassine. And wrapped with a thin gold thread. DREAM JOB!

I can't remember all of them but included: Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Aniston, Renee Zellweger, Nicolas Cage, Adrian Brody, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Diane Lane, Queen Latifah, Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, and a couple others.

It is hilarious now, but the big gift was the first cell phone with a camera!

vince:
Bravo Erica, I don't really care about Hollywood "stars", but that's definitely a true precision work. I was feeling sad reading the beginning of your post, those were bad days, but happy to see you feel better now =) I saw on Paperwhite that you also did some work for Mercedes? Can I ask which type of work you did this time? Maybe we can see a photo? Just curious about that =) Thanks!

ewigginton:
Simply lovely, Erica! What a great get for you! Doesn't it sometimes seem when we have the most going on, we get the most done? I definitely remember those days when I didn't know if I was coming or going. The good old days.....

Please tell me one of the names you forgot was George Clooney!

Erica McPhee:
Thanks Vince and Ellen!

Ellen, it's true, isn't it?! Nope, no George that year!  :'(   :D

Vince, thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes, they were very difficult days but now all is good! We live our best lessons from our hardest challenges.

And yes, I did a few jobs for Mercedes. The first were large "tags" which were about 3 feet long and 1.5 feet tall. They used it in all of their advertisements (TV, print, web) as well as put the tags on all of their cars at their dealerships. My husband went to the local dealership and got one for me!  :D

This was an extremely art directed job and they told me *exactly* what they wanted.

Here is the tag:

And a screen shot from their website:

I also did the invitations for the Maybach launch at the Hamptons (a trendy NY hangout for the rich and famous). That job was amazing! Almost 1,000 invitations - all movie stars, producers, directors, rock stars, etc. Probably the coolest job I ever did. Sadly, I have no pictures for that one and I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement (understandably).

Yes, those were the good ol' days! Or the bad ol' days depending on the day! HAHA! But I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunities I did.

vince:
This "Happy Holidays" is awesome Erica, I especially love the ligature between the p and d. You must have been so proud to see your work everywhere like that.

Also love when you wrote "We live our best lessons from our hardest challenges.", totally agree with that. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version