Author Topic: Don't cry over spilled ink. A newbie calligrapher's diary.  (Read 10079 times)

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
Don't cry over spilled ink. A newbie calligrapher's diary.
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:45 PM »
Being a newbie I drool over a lot of work shown here and on IG that you pros easily self-criticize. I only hope some day my best work is equal to your rejects!  :)   In the meantime, I practice away hoping to get these old muscles to develop some memory. I just filled four entire pages full of capital Rs and there isn't a one that I would show on the board for criticism, no matter how gentle it was! This stuff can be hard but I work away knowing at some point I'll get better.

How about the rest of you newbies? Got any funny stories to share? Have you dipped your pen into your iced-tea yet? (You can substitute Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or any other brown consumable liquid and you will likely do it at some point ;).) How are you progressing? Any epiphanies? Do your friends/family think you're crazy because every time they see you you're hunched over your work area muttering, with dishes piled up in the sink and your unwashed children are beginning to look forward to visits from UPS because you get excited over a new ink or nib delivery?   

I'm trying to be practical about all this and realize that most of the pros on this board have spent decades studying. I don't expect perfection in anything else I do so why would I start now with this new hobby? Heck, I've been sewing for over forty years and whenever I sew something, I mess up somewhere. Every. Single. Time. I'm viewing this strictly as a hobby and purely for my personal enjoyment. Just like the dozens (hundreds?) of hobbies I've had over the years. I'm also looking at it with a sense of humor since it can be really, really intimidating when some discussions turn very philosophical on the forum and I'm still trying to figure out how to tell a G nib from a 41 or a 982 or whatever! (Those teeny tiny letters on the nibs aren't really meant for human eyes to read, are they?)

So, please share some of your highs and lows here with me and let me know I'm not alone in this journey with my badly ink-smudged practice pages. You're having fun too, right? Did you make a reasonably acceptable number one today?

Ellen

Offline vince

• View Profile
    • Vtcreative
Re: Don't cry over spilled ink. A newbie calligrapher's diary.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
You're definitely not alone Ellen. I really see myself reading your post. Anyway I already meet this problem in an other domain (webdesign) some years ago, and I learned that time and practice (a lot) is the key.

We often tend to be frustrated, even more today because we can see all those talented "pros" like you said, sharing their creativity and totally forget it's often the work of a life. Personally, when I take a look at my instagram feed or even a calligrapher's website, it's like a big kick of motivation: "Oh yeah, that's why I'm spending all this time in this practice"

Anyway for me, (1 month of practice, more or less 1-2h a day), I have to say it's still really bad for now, I mean, no straight lines, no beautiful flourishes (Erica keeps her flourishes video secretely ;)), nothing pro. But if I look at the work of the previous weeks, I see some changes (good ones).

I think calligraphy is all about this, a lot of time and self-infestment. Slow, hard but well rewarded efforts.. at the end (if there is an end, probably not) ;) I think it's more about an apprehension than something else, don't discourage yourself, be sure to get the good tools, the good position, the good paper, and you'll improve your writing for sure. =)

Maybe share a pic of your writing or problem here so experienced calligraphers can tell you obvious errors and any other suggest to improve your work!

I'm not so much on number today, for me something really hard is letter-spacing. That's what I'm focusing on these days =)

Anyway I hope it will reassure you, let all this frustration down and believe in your capacity!
Vincent Tantardini, UI/UX designer. I love letters.
http://dribbble.com/vt
http://instagram.com/vtantardini

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Dear Ellen, dear Vince, ho boy !!! I've felt exactly the same years ago at the begining !! When I've started, during monthSSS I've written only the "a"'s letter, on Rhodia's blocsssssss !!!!!!!!!!!! I started with italic, In addition, I'm left handed !!!! Well, you just have to practice and believe !!!!
Vince, I understand what you mean : how hard is the letter-spacing !!! Oohhhh yesssss it is !!! Help yourself with the light box ...
I truly Think that it's a long long life of patience...today is better than yesterday.....
Keep going  :-*

Offline vince

• View Profile
    • Vtcreative
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »
Thanks =) Erica and others gave me confirmation about the good posture/paper position some days ago. I'm really feeling better now, but I'm still working in really bad condition. You can't imagine how impatient I am to receive my artograph (end of the week or next week maximum, arrrg, so looooooooong ;) )

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Thank you Ellen for starting this post and Vince and Nora for sharing. This is why I encourage beginners to share their work. When you see my work - you are seeing 35 years (UGH! - I started at age 10) of experience. And I typically only post the best of my work. So you don't see the stack of 200 pages of less than stellar letters.

I know it is a normal part of the process, but I don't want to discourage anyone. With dedication, you will get there with patience, study, and practice.

In terms of not being alone - there are 400+ members on the forum (hooray) and I would guestimate not even 25% are professional calligraphers. But the other 75% aren't posting their work either because they feel the same as you. Intimidation can be humbling and discouraging. I implore you to reach beyond that and use the posted work for inspiration and encouragement.

I considered splitting the forum into a beginners and pro section but I don't want to foster that kind of distinction. I want the pros to encourage and mentor newbies, the beginners to ask away, the more advanced also be able to enjoy discussion for experienced lettering artists; and for all of us to benefit from a community of varied experience levels.

OK... I'll bow out gracefully now ... carry on!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
Ellen, I love your post!  It really made me laugh out loud-- especially the images of the hunched-over, muttering calligrapher, the dirty dishes and the unwashed children!  I can absolutely relate to ALL of it.  LOL, I too am in love with the UPS guy...  You are a scream!  I love your writing. 

I think it would be so great to be able to foster some real critique on the forum, because it's SO helpful when we're trying to learn!  If we're talking about any of the Copperplate hands, for example, because there are a set of "rules", it can be fairly easy to see what's happening and what needs to improve.  I'm NO kind of expert, but I'm happy to share whatever I've learned if it helps anybody else!  You've given me an idea-- that practice sheet that I posted in the Copperplate section--  I'm going to red-pencil it to show where the improvements are needed.  I can see them now, better than I could a year ago when I wrote out that page.  I think it helps SO MUCH to see a page critiqued and marked-up, because it trains the eye.  I'll say it again because it bears repeating--  as that was meant to be "classic" copperplate, the rules are very cut-and-dry.  Therefore, critiques aren't subjective.

I'll try to do that later today!  xo

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:33 AM »
I can't say I've had any ink accidents yet...   But I did just have my husband tell me tonight that this calligraphy thing is becoming an obsession. (This is coming from the guy who can spend hours processing his pictures in Photoshop!) I think the difference is I'm trying to do it daily. And just when I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, I have a day when nothing seems to come out right. But I know from reading here there will be many ups and downs in the beginning, which is reassuring.

Offline MICHELA

• Freshman Member
  • Globe trotter graphic designer ✈✎
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:50 AM »
I think the trick -especially for me- is to transform the feeling I have when looking at amazing calligraphy into something powerful:

I feel frustrated, almost envious, thinking I will never be that good! I give up after 30 mins because I compare my work with those who have been doing it for years, with those who do it as a job, with those that are simply naturally gifted (oh yes, gotta accept that). So the time I spend drooling over pinterest, that could oh so well be spent in practicing! For example.
My goal is to transform that feeling mixed with frustration and marvel, into the fuel that keeps me getting better...I have to repeat that to myself every day.

And speaking of accidents, I spilled some nice higgings eternal black onto the leather bag my grandmother gave me...and was about to drink the water for cleaning the nib...a few times! !

May the force be with you, all newbies <3

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
I feel the exact same way - sometimes Instagram/Pinterest can be of the greatest inspiration one minute, and give you the feeling of crushing defeat the next. Sometimes I feel like I'll never get to where I want to be. That's when it's probably a good idea to shut off the computer/app/browser/whatever and just go do some alphabet drills!

Offline vince

• View Profile
    • Vtcreative
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
That's when it's probably a good idea to shut off the computer/app/browser/whatever and just go do some alphabet drills!

True talk. =)

Offline dreamingkathleen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
Ha - thanks for this thread. I've found where I belong!
For 2014 I decided to embark on a yearlong project where I'd do hand lettering every day (link is in signature). I figured that I'd learn some calligraphy and have been attempting to teach myself ever since.

And since I have to share something every day for the project, that means I'm posting awful beginner calligraphy for the world to see!! I wish I would have thought this one through, haha. However, I think it's good to share your work, and most people don't have the trained calligrapher's eye so don't think 'omg the slant isn't exactly 4* TSK TSK'.

Sorry, I'm kind of ranting here. :) I find calligraphy fun. It's a matter of making the time and not being too hard on myself since I am learning. And I think that you learn all the details about nibs and inks through trial and error. It is a LOT when you're starting.

Anyway, let's share some beginner calligraphy and keep encouraging each other and one day those beautiful pins on pinterest will be our own work. Right?!
"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."

my 2014 Lettering Project.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
^^ Love this Kathleen!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline EricaR

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
Kathleen, I love your project!
I am in the same boat. Like I shared in my intro a few weeks ago (haven't been able to practice much since then either because we are moving right now...arg), my dad was a professional sign painter, so I've always had this idea in my head that I somehow needed to measure up to that to be any good. Silly.
I've taught myself how to do a lot of things that require muscle memory and a tiny bit of creative ability, and the beginning is always so, so difficult for me. I have to keep that in mind in order to not get completely frustrated and wanting to throw in the towel. It's hard, though, to not compare my beginnings to the work of those who are just farther along in their journey.
Erica R.
IG - Instagram.com/erue

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »

Anyway, let's share some beginner calligraphy and keep encouraging each other and one day those beautiful pins on pinterest will be our own work. Right?!

Yep. Warts and all. No fifty-times-till-I-get-it-just-perfect either.

P1010257 by Ellen Wigginton, on Flickr

I'm imagining you all in your underwear reading this.  ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:56 AM »
See - that wasn't so hard! And look at your LOVELY lettering! You are making so much progress! And I like how you're style is starting to develop, too. And I am digging that d!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram