General Categories > Open Flourish | General Discussion

That thing we call a nib...

(1/3) > >>

Perfectsettings:
So ever since we opened Pandora's box and talked about how long a nib lasts, I have broken 2.  My question is 2 fold; when you're running your nib over the flame how long is too long?  I think I may have weakened the metal.  But the ink wasn't loading so I ran it 2x.
Secondly, I never thought I was heavy handed... could I be?  I don't poke holes, my nib doesn't catch (well, not a whole lot) and I don't spatter ink (well, not too often).  Do you think that perhaps I am?  How do I resolve that?

ewigginton:
I don't use the flame at all but that's just me. I spit on a paper towel to clean the nib. That's it. Never broken a nib yet, knock wood.

Ellen

Erica McPhee:
It's literally just a few seconds back and forth.

What ink are you using? I have stopped using iron gall ink (McCaffrey's) because my nibs weren't even lasting one session. Others have reported similar issues. I think it was Schin who was having nibs snap left and right.

Perfectsettings:
I use Higgins India Ink.  But after the first nib breaking I switched to Speedball's.  I also have been using gouache. 
I DEF ran it over the flame way too long, then.  Ugh.
I was so irritated yesterday that I ordered a couple dozen nibs.

Erica McPhee:
Well that's a bummer! Try the saliva method. (Or even the toothpaste.) You won't regret having lots of nibs on hand, though!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version