Author Topic: Oblique pen for Brause EF66 nib  (Read 6754 times)

Offline evad

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Oblique pen for Brause EF66 nib
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
I'm looking for an oblique pen holder for the Brause EF66 and would appreciate your advice.

I'm based in Europe, but I haven't found any European sellers, so I'm going international. My budget is up to $50 (shipping included).

I don't want a plastic pen, but otherwise don't care how it looks, as long as it's a good tool.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Oblique pen for Brause EF66 nib
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »
The Hourglass Adjustable Oblique ($42.50) is currently out of stock at Paper & Ink Arts, but it is a good fit for the EF66, because it's adjustable. You can use nibs from EF66 to Nikko G.

The Blackwell adjustables at John Neal are great too, the plastic is $29.50 and the wood is $40. I have had the plastic one for almost 4 years and it's one of my favorites. I don't think the wood one is as comfortable.

Another option is to get a Century Adjusted Oblique ($24.95) and have JNB adjust it for you to fit an EF66.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:10:33 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Kim C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:07 AM »
Ditto to what Linda suggested on all 3, including the plastic Blackwell adjustables (it's one of my go-to ones as well!).

The Speedball Deluxe (Comfort Grip) Oblique Pen Holders from John Neal Booksellers is also an inexpensive option ($16.50).  They sell a flange that is specific for the EF66.  Although plastic, it is covered with some special coating that helps give it the "comfort grip" as it is named, and does a decent job.  It also has a metal flange and still miles better than the $2 black plastic Hunt obliques.  http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=speedball+deluxe

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
The Great Calligrahy Catalog has a Blackwell adjustable holder. 
I think they are in France.

http://www.thegreatcalligraphycatalog.net/acatalog/Calligraphy_accessories.html

Oh yes, this one is plastic.  I have the PIA adjustable and it is one of my favorites. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:38:59 AM by Blotbot »

Offline evad

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
Thank you for your kind suggestions. I ordered the Hourglass, but you've sold me on the plastic Blackwell, so I'll try it in the future too.

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
reply to Evad: Obviously you haven't yet heard of my Handmade wooden pen staffs made especially for the Brause 66EF nib. Yes, I make them, they are lightweight, and come with a cushioned finger gripper. The non-corrosive nib flange is bradded and cemented to the shaft for longevity and durability. The smaller shaft combined with the cushioned finger gripper help reduce hand-fatigue. You can find one listed on Ebay for only $14.95 plus postage. I'll be happy to email you a penstaff flyer if you send me your email address.
Kindest regards,
Harvey ([email protected])

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
Almost any pen holder will fit a brause EF66, if it's an oblique simply adjust it. I have a video on my YouTube Channel, just go to YouTube and search for Yoke Pen Co.  There is no need for a "special" pen holder. Also I don't recommend the Blackwell, the design can lead to deforming the nib and cause the tines to splay apart.

But if you TRULY want one that fits it, I made the one below...lol

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:38:01 AM by YokePenCo »
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
It's so tiny and cute!!  Haha!  ;D
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »

But if you TRULY want one that fits it, I made the one below...lol

That is an amazing holder.  Magic work as always, Chris  :)

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »
Also I don't recommend the Blackwell, the design can lead to deforming the nib and cause the tines to splay apart.

This will happen if you have the screw on very very tight and/or have a heavy hand. As I said previously, I've had my Blackwell for nearly 4 years and it works perfectly fine without any issue whatsoever. I only tighten the screw as much as it is needed and I have a light hand.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
Also I don't recommend the Blackwell, the design can lead to deforming the nib and cause the tines to splay apart.

This will happen if you have the screw on very very tight and/or have a heavy hand. As I said previously, I've had my Blackwell for nearly 4 years and it works perfectly fine without any issue whatsoever. I only tighten the screw as much as it is needed and I have a light hand.

Absolutely true :) I always say this primarily in regards to anyone new and since the holder itself comes without any clear instructions.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Gorgeous, Christopher!

Janis

p.s.

I very often use the black plastic Speedball nib holder & have no issues with it.  I know that many others claim it doesn't fit/won't work, etc., but I have no problem with it.  I don't do anything magical, I just insert the nib & write!