Author Topic: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters  (Read 22647 times)

Offline Bri

• Freshman Member
  • Be Inspired. Then go be the Inspiration.
    • View Profile
Has Anyone utilized this book? I'm new to calligraphy and my goal is to master copperplate first, and then branch out to other letterforms. If anyone knows if this book is a good investment let me know.

[Click on the picture to see on Amazon.]

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:43:54 AM by Erica McPhee »
Happy Flourishing!

Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Hi Bri,
This is the book recommended in the tutorials and on the Flourish home page. It is one of the best books to begin learning copperplate as it literally goes step by step for each letter. The style is very traditional.

You may want to review these posts and check out the first tutorial as it talks a little about the book: Where Do I Go First?

Glad you asked as I didn't realize it wasn't posted yet!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:46:12 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sandeeee

• Never stop learning. Never stop writing.
    • View Profile
    • Sandeegraphy
I just got hold of that book and it's definitely great for beginners!
Sandee Suan - sandeegraphy.wordpress.com
"Never stop learning. Never stop feeling. Never stop writing."
@sandeegraphy

Offline Loren Chestnut

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Captivating Calligraphy
I just recently purchased that book about a month ago and I absolutely love it! It definitely takes you back to the basics and is very thorough!
Loren Chestnut
Captivating Calligraphy
Instgram | Twitter | Website

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
I have it! It is really great for begginers! It does not tell just how to do each letter, it also has the most common errors and a "how-not-to" do each letter as well. It has many variations of both minuscules and majuscules. I use it a lot when practicing and compare my letterforms with the exemplars (both the good and the bad ones). I think it is really useful.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

clangsdorf

Bri - definitely the way to go. Many books only have a few pages dedicated to copperplate. This is a good study tool and reference.

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
I've learned so much because of this book :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline CHAKAMEDINA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram
I just ordered my copy as well per the recommendations of the flourish forum community. Can't wait for it to arrive. I purchased it because I really want to know the basics of copperplate so I can build from there. I don't want to just practice "pretty writing" I want to know the whys. Let's exchange notes on our progress once we both get the book!

Offline Danielle

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I've been using this book for a month now and it has been super helpful! It's very thorough and breaks everything down in a way that's easy to understand.
Danielle

Offline Bri

• Freshman Member
  • Be Inspired. Then go be the Inspiration.
    • View Profile
I ordered it too! I'd like to learn the traditional style first as well so that I can build a true appreciation. I'd love to share progress Chakamedina!
Happy Flourishing!

Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
This book is how I taught myself copperplate.  I really should go back over it and try to refine my letters.  I also like the multiple examples of fluorished capitals it gives.

Offline wfung

• View Profile
i also have that book, good to have to learn from and as reference

Offline Nicalligraphy

• "It's better to see something once, than to hear a
    • View Profile
    • Nicalligraphy
I was always curious about this book. Thanks for opening the topic!!! Might use it for reference as well.

Offline CHAKAMEDINA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram
I just got my copy and I have to say I totally wish I started with this book from the beginning of my calligraphy journey. Honestly it will probably take me a good year or so to go through all the material. It is chock full of the correct way to produce copperplate calligraphy. All the nuances are ridiculous. I have been struggling with some things for weeks not understanding why I couldn't make certain connections and also with just being inconsistent. Now that I have this book I now know why. The other great by-product of this book is the ability to critique your own work. I still have a long ways to go but I can look at my practice drills and know exactly why something doesn't look right. This book will not disappoint. But it will make you think about calligraphy in way you hadn't before. To be awesome at this you really have to know it will be a journey of tons of practice and learning. I don't think I really got that before. So now I am taking my time and not rushing and I am seeing more consistent, beautiful results. Good Luck!!

Offline Mtnlaurel

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
I just got my copy a few weeks ago and just love it! It is one of the best books I've found on the subject. I wish I had found it sooner!!