Author Topic: Dr. Ph. Martin's water color  (Read 1476 times)

Offline etaunkn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Dr. Ph. Martin's water color
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:59:12 PM »
I had an unplanned trip to the art supply store and came home with a bottle of Dr. Ph. Martin's "Radiant CONCENTRATED Water Color."  I think now that this is not the usual ink people are talking about when they mention this brand, is it?  It looks very thin.  Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Ph. Martin's water color
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Never paid attention to this product before.  From the web site, they suggest people may use it as a quick (and more expensive) alternative to the usual watercolor tubes, possibly also for airbrushing.

Personally, out of a 3$ tube of watercolor, I can make a **lot** of watercolor ink.  Some comments on the web site seem to suggest the brillance of the resulting color, so maybe if you're picky about brilliant colors it may be worth it.  For me, mixing the right hue myself is critical so I have to work with tubes.

Also I find getting a high density pigment watercolor ink mix (approching the opaqueness of goauche, say) requires a bit of work and tweaking.  Assuming the Doc Martin ink is thin, then maybe all you're paying for is "radiance" (and I'd like to know what they mean by that).

Did you use it yet as calligraphy ink?   I'd be curious to hear how that works out.

Offline etaunkn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
It was a disaster. It ran off my nib all over the place. I think it would be nice for brush calligraphy though. There was a beautiful display of the bottles with calligraphy ink, so I neglected to read the label thoroughly.

Offline Michellie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »
Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus watercolor is the one that I usually used and it works well without adding anything.

Michellie

Ig: @chelliesz

Offline krixieaz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:21:47 AM »
I was told radiants are designed to keep their intensity when scanned, so I think these would be good for projects where you would probably need to digitize. They are very thin, though, so I prefer them for brush calligraphy. If you want a watercolor ink that's more suited for calligraphy, I would recommend the hydrus ones :)

Offline etaunkn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
Thanks so much, I will look for the hydrus next time.