Tutorials > Kind Critique

Please RIGHT if I'm WRONG - Copperplate

<< < (2/63) > >>

Elizabeth O.:
Hi!

I'm loving what I'm seeing - great work so far!!  You've done a lot and practiced a lot and it shows.

Something to work on: I'm looking at the first drill sheet that you posted.  The fifth line has an upstroke-downstroke-upstroke drill.  When you do that drill, aim for keeping the shades and hairlines parallel and spaced evenly.  The shades and hairlines should also be on that same slant line.  In general, it looks like the over-turn is consistently wider than the under-turn - you want to try to get those to be as close to the same size as possible. 

That being said, your hairline and shade transition is really nice!  Especially on the last figure in that drill line.  Keep going!!  And, please keep us updated on your progress!  ;D

Salman Khattak:
You have a nice Copperplate hand Ashok. You have a good eye for spacing.

Since you asked for critique, I will mention some things that caught my eye.

1. You have a tendency to reduce the slant. This is quite common, especially so when writing with a straight holder. All you need to fix this is rotate your paper counter-clockwise a bit. When you put your pen to paper, the direction of the slit in the nib should more or less line up with the slant lines. (BTW - you can also just draw your slant lines to be closer to the vertical if you like it that way. The important thing is to be consistent.)

2. The letters 'a', 'd', 'g', 'q' all start with an 'o' which is followed by the vertical stroke e.g. 'a' will be written by drawing an 'o' followed by drawing an 'i'. In the examples above, the right side of the 'o' is left open in these letters - this is most noticeable in the 'a'.

3. The letters 'u' and 'w' start with an 'i' stroke. There is no turning at the top of the first stroke like you have drawn in 'understands' in the last example above.

4. The letters 'y' and 'v' do have a turn at the top i.e. they start with a compound curve. See 'everything' and 'hungry' in the last example above - the 'v' and 'y' should have a turn at the top.

I cannot tell for sure but it appears to me that the slant lines are a bit too slanted. Please ensure that these are at least 55 degrees from the horizontal.

I hope this helps :-)

- Salman

ash0kgiri:

--- Quote from: SMK on June 16, 2016, 03:25:14 PM ---You have a nice Copperplate hand Ashok. You have a good eye for spacing.

Since you asked for critique, I will mention some things that caught my eye.

1. You have a tendency to reduce the slant. This is quite common, especially so when writing with a straight holder. All you need to fix this is rotate your paper counter-clockwise a bit. When you put your pen to paper, the direction of the slit in the nib should more or less line up with the slant lines. (BTW - you can also just draw your slant lines to be closer to the vertical if you like it that way. The important thing is to be consistent.)

2. The letters 'a', 'd', 'g', 'q' all start with an 'o' which is followed by the vertical stroke e.g. 'a' will be written by drawing an 'o' followed by drawing an 'i'. In the examples above, the right side of the 'o' is left open in these letters - this is most noticeable in the 'a'.

3. The letters 'u' and 'w' start with an 'i' stroke. There is no turning at the top of the first stroke like you have drawn in 'understands' in the last example above.

4. The letters 'y' and 'v' do have a turn at the top i.e. they start with a compound curve. See 'everything' and 'hungry' in the last example above - the 'v' and 'y' should have a turn at the top.

I cannot tell for sure but it appears to me that the slant lines are a bit too slanted. Please ensure that these are at least 55 degrees from the horizontal.

I hope this helps :-)

- Salman

--- End quote ---

Hi Salman,

Thats a very detailed and well explained mail. And thanks for the kind words. Much appreciate.
I will go back to the drill worksheets and make sure the points mentioned by you are looked into.
The last sheet that you see is done before i did any drill exercise ever before. And today i have done a long para after i have done the drills.
Have attached the sheet for you and everyone to comment and criticise.

I agree with you on the slant line. It looked too slanted once i started doing it, but continued as i was practicing.
Will make sure that the slant is 55 degree. I have ordered for an oblique pen from Paper & Ink and will reach me by end of this month.
India its very difficult to find these things. Also i would like to mention that the paper i use is very rough and on up stroke it gets stuck and i cant confidently make that stroke as it would tear the paper or splatter the ink. (or may be i should just try and do it)

Thanks again for taking your valuable time. And this mail will be definitely my ref point whenever im practising.

Ashok

ash0kgiri:

--- Quote from: Elizabeth O. on June 16, 2016, 03:09:19 PM ---Hi!

I'm loving what I'm seeing - great work so far!!  You've done a lot and practiced a lot and it shows.

Something to work on: I'm looking at the first drill sheet that you posted.  The fifth line has an upstroke-downstroke-upstroke drill.  When you do that drill, aim for keeping the shades and hairlines parallel and spaced evenly.  The shades and hairlines should also be on that same slant line.  In general, it looks like the over-turn is consistently wider than the under-turn - you want to try to get those to be as close to the same size as possible. 

That being said, your hairline and shade transition is really nice!  Especially on the last figure in that drill line.  Keep going!!  And, please keep us updated on your progress!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for sparing your valuable time to comment on the drills.
Now that i look again i can see were i went wrong. Will again go back to the drill sheets keeping things in mind that you have suggested.

I just updated my todays practise sheet for you and everyone to comment and criticise. This was done after the drill exercise for me to understand if im following what i learnt. Please do have a look.

Thanks again,
Ashok

Garima:
I don't think i've accomplished enough to comment on your practice sheets but i would like to ask you what paper are you using? In case i can help! I've also had a lot of trouble finding the right paper when i started.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version