Author Topic: First post - Feedback on Fraktur  (Read 808 times)

Offline BenA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
First post - Feedback on Fraktur
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
This is one piece from a series I've been doing for practice of the laws from the 48 Laws of Power.  It was a 6mm and 2.4mm pilot pen on strahmore sketch paper.

The things I'm really trying to work on are consistency, like the E in "offend" is wider than the others, and really getting down that "picket fence" texture.  They go together though as the texture will come with more consistency for sure.

The other thing I've been working on is trying to make something more of a full piece than just words on a page.  I've definitely struggled with flourishes and thats something I really look to improve on, especially with the resources of this forum.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on how to improve this piece.

Here is also a link to my IG https://www.instagram.com/there_was_kaen/, I'd love feedback on any of the other pieces as well!

Thanks!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: First post - Feedback on Fraktur
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
Good effort. You might consider trying practice on graph paper to improve the consistency of your slant or uprightness of your letters (see w and r of wrong). Helps keep everything straight.

Offline BenA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »
Hey!

Thanks for the reply.  I actually do use some guidelines but good clean vertical lines are definitely one of my weaker points.

I've been working on that for a while and definitely still have a while to go.

Also, could you tell me what you think of the flourishes and anything else which could be done to make the entire thing more visually interesting?

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 01:47:39 AM »
I like the flourishing, but I think the o is an odd starting point. Perhaps the P would be better.

As far as making it more interesting, it is pretty interesting already. That D is plenty elaborate, and the text is short. Any addition risks making it to busy.