General Categories > Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship

Handwriting examples from the 1870's

(1/3) > >>

AAAndrew:
I recently purchased a miscellaneous set of documents from around 1872-74 related to the running of the Vermont and Massachusetts Railway. I picked them up because I'm interested in old styles of penmanship. Most are not terribly interesting from a content perspective, but the variation in handwriting is quite fun. I haven't gone through them all yet, but here are three of my favorites so far.

matteherr:
Me too! I spent way too much time on Google searching for pics of 1700's to 1800's documents with handwriting. Now I know I'm not the only one!

Moose:
You and me both, Matteherr.

Thanks for sharing these AAAndrew! Old handwriting styles are fascinating to me. Maybe because I started with Spencerian, but I like to see how personal handwriting has changed. I appreciate seeing goods cans of old docs like this.

AAAndrew:
Here's an interesting one. It's a draft letter old Mr. Poor is writing to Charles S. Osgood, a member of the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Besides the writing, it is also interesting to see draft letters, which almost never survive.

AAAndrew:
Here's an interesting hand from the 1870 US Census in Philadelphia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version