Author Topic: Who’s your favourite calligrapher?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Angela Sampayo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Who’s your favourite calligrapher?
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:52:51 AM »
Hey all!
I am at the beginning stages of my calligraphic journey, so I’m looking for as many resources as I can, but I find it a bit overwhelming, since there’s A LOT out there.
So I was wondering, who are your favourite calligraphers? I like to learn from the best  ;D
I’m familiar with Paul Antonio’s work, but apart from him, I don’t know any other “classic” calligraphers. Is there a book that you consider essential?
(Sorry Erica for my many posts, I know you have to approve them all and I already posted like 6 of them  :-X )

Offline MaureenV

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy Crush Magazine
Re: Who’s your favourite calligrapher?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »
Hi Angela.

Here are some great books:

The Art and Craft of Hand Lettering - Annie Cicale
Foundations of Calligraphy - Sheila Waters
The Zanerian Manual
Spencerian Script by Michael Sull

I also like "Calligraphy: A Complete Guide" by Juilen Chazal for all the interesting styles.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
There are so many, but if I had to pick one it would be Willington Clark - see "The Universal Penman".

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
I learned Copperplate from Eleanor Winter's book, "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy".  I used it just like a school text book.  I started on page 1 and worked my way to the end of the book.  I believe that anyone can learn Copperplate from her book.

Janis

Offline Angela Sampayo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
Thank you all! I will look for those books :)

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi Angela

You may also want to check out the Zanerian Manual. David Grimes has posted a pdf available to download at his website.

https://masgrimes.com/archive/zanerian-manual

Peace,
Cat
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
This is such a wide question!

I couldn’t possibly have one single favorite so I will list several of my favorites.
Contemporary - John Stevens tops the list. He is amazing. I highly recommend his book, Scribe.
Suzanne Cunningham, Nina Tran - two “don’t miss” Instagram stars. They both do videos on Insta and I have learned so much just from watching their techniques.
Joy Fairclough from Studio French Blue is one of my all time favorites. Her calligraphy is so elegant.
Schin Loong - one of my besties and also one of the best calligraphers I know. She just has such an amazing style. And she has incredible videos on YouTube.

I could list 20 more but I think that is a good start.

In terms of old Masters - I have a sweet spot for EL Brown and WE Dennis.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Kei.haniya

• Freshman Member
  • Kei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
I think the Zanerian Manual is an excellent resource if you take the time to read about each of the letterforms. I studied it extensively when I began formally approaching pointed pen scripts. I love The Secret of the Skills of Madarasz, as well, because he is my all time favorite penman. The book is out of print however, but you can find it online at IAMPETH.org, another good resource.

Warmly, Kei

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi Angela.  I am a very small fish in the pond of people who are responding, but after about 2 years following calligraphers on Instagram I have chosen a favorite and it is the first one that Erica mentioned.  Now, I don't think I have even been exposed to all the great calligraphers, because my time at this is not very long, but I haven't seen anything from John Stevens that I didn't love.  If you are on Instagram you can find him as "calligraphile. "  I know about his book, but have not seen it yet, so this is really just for inspiration.