Author Topic: Not "beautiful". I am a novice learner.  (Read 917 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Not "beautiful". I am a novice learner.
« on: July 01, 2020, 09:57:12 AM »
Thinking perhaps posting aids with accountability . . . maybe?

Either way, I started a new course three weeks ago Copperplate Foundations with @logos_calligraphy, Younghae C. This is practice work this week.  We have homework once a week on Sundays.

I can't stand red-marking my mistakes.  I know, necessary for learning and growth.  I find it kinda disheartening.  Funny thing, I do not mind person-to-person critiques.  But doing it myself . .. . weird, I dunno, don't like it.  :P
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline GrayStratCat

• Freshman Member
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way....
    • View Profile
Re: Not "beautiful". I am a novice learner.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 09:47:42 AM »
@lyric you're coming along quite well!  I can't seem to enlarge your photos but from what I can see your consistency looks to be improving and that's one of the major hurdles.  If I can add just a few comments I would suggest striving for a bit heavier shading on the swells and finer hairlines to create more contrast in the given letter.  A lot of achieving  this contrast has to do with the nib you're using, the ink and the paper.  You may want to let us know what combination you're using.  I find experimenting with various inks, papers and nibs part of the enjoyment of calligraphy.

Be well,
GSC
“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.”

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
Wait, first let me get over a response.  I'm giddy . . . .. giggles.

Thank YOU for this advice.   :)

More than likely I was using HP 32# Premium paper (that has been my go-to).  Nib, I am all over the place leaning toward Blue Pumpkin and my new Leonardt Principle EF.  The ink I believe was Higgins Eternal Black

Today's drills (Sat., 7/11) I used Leonardt Principle EF and Canson Pro Layout Marker paper.  Believe I have fallen in love.  My pocketbook has not (I find Canson paper expensive considering it only comes with 50 sheets).  Why I could use that up in ONE week.  I must find something comparable with either more paper or less expense.  Any ideas?  Oh, and the drills I attached today I used Moon Palace Sumi Ink.  Loving it, oh man, so far.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:21:15 PM by lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:22:32 PM »
@lyric you're coming along quite well!  I can't seem to enlarge your photos but from what I can see your consistency looks to be improving and that's one of the major hurdles.  If I can add just a few comments I would suggest striving for a bit heavier shading on the swells and finer hairlines to create more contrast in the given letter.  A lot of achieving  this contrast has to do with the nib you're using, the ink and the paper.  You may want to let us know what combination you're using.  I find experimenting with various inks, papers and nibs part of the enjoyment of calligraphy.

Be well,
GSC

Oh, I wanted to make sure you saw my response.  Guess I should have not "replied" but hit quote.  Anyway, my response is above this .  ;-)  Again, thank you SO much.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline GrayStratCat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »
@lyric as for paper, I have yet to find anything as economic and of the same quality as HP Premium 32# Laser paper.  For practice, I just run it through my printer with the guidelines I want and run  20 or 30 sheets at a time.  Are there better papers out there?  Absolutely.  Do most cost more, probably.  Many are fond of Rhodia for pointed pen.  If you haven't tried this paper, you may want to give it a try.  I'm not fond of it for pointed pen but many are.  The hairlines you can achieve on Rhodia are second to none, but you'll have to re-train your fingers as to pressure since that type of paper is quite different than the HP 32#. 

As for Higgins Eternal, it's one of my favorite inks but I like adding some gum arabic to it in order to eliminate its tendency to feather.  I prefer the powder form of gum arabic and I mix it with a small amount of warm distilled water until I get a consistency of pancake syrup.  I then add this to the Higgins in small amounts until I get the feathering under control.  I've been doing this for so long I know just about how much gum arabic syrup it will take, but until you've done it a few times, go slowly with the gum arabic and try as you go.  You'll also see that the ink "feels" different coming off the nib, and will appear a bit oily but it will dry just fine.  I would suggest doing this to a small portion of your Higgins, not the entire bottle.  If you don't have any small dippy cups, you can use small shot glasses.  I often do this when I'm out of small jars.  I then just cover the shot glass containing ink with a small piece of press-and-seal plastic wrap.  A small Popsicle stick makes a great stirring stick.  I find those at DG for next to nothing.   Another neat trick is to put your shot glass or small dippy cup in some type of small candle holder base or candy dish so it leans toward you.  It makes dipping your pen with an oblique holder so much easier than with the container sitting straight up.

As for the Leaonardt Principal, it is a fantastic nib but the quality control leaves something to be desired.  You can get a good one or a bad one.  Just wanted to pass that along.  Also, it can be a difficult nib for a beginner to master.  If it's working for you, all the better.  If you're having trouble, especially with the nib catching on the paper on up-strokes, you may want to try a Hunt 101 for a while and after more practice move back to the Leonardt.  The 101 is a more flexible nib and will give you much wider strokes with less pressure than the Principal.

As for the Moon Palace, I also like this ink but again, based solely on my own taste and preference, I prefer to dilute it to a 50:50 ratio with distilled water.  I find it flows much better and I can achieve finer  hairlines once it's diluted.  Moon Palace does not require gum arabic in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!  And glad to be of some small assistance.

Be well,
GSC

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.”

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
@lyric
 If you're having trouble, especially with the nib catching on the paper on up-strokes, you may want to try a Hunt 101 for a while and after more practice move back to the Leonardt.  The 101 is a more flexible nib and will give you much wider strokes with less pressure than the Principal.

Keep up the good work!  And glad to be of some small assistance.

Be well,
GSC

Loaded up my 101 this morning.  I had purchased it months ago and was not successful with it. 

Let the adventure begin (today or tomorrow, LOL).   Gotta go to work today.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline GrayStratCat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »
@lyric, another suggestion if you're having trouble with the pen point catching would be to make sure your oblique flange and the nib are adjusted properly.  I've attached the link to one of the golden standards for this.  The info on adjustments start on page 17.  The rest of the PDF is also full of great information.   And I hope those 101's work out for you after you make any needed adjustments that may be required!

http://www.zanerian.com/VitoloBookHandoutComplete3.pdf

Best,
GSC

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 11:50:04 AM »
Somehow I missed this the first time around! It looks like you are making great progress. Excellent class, too. Thanks for sharing your work with us!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
@lyric, The rest of the PDF is also full of great information.   And I hope those 101's work out for you after you make any needed adjustments that may be required!

http://www.zanerian.com/VitoloBookHandoutComplete3.pdf

Best,
GSC

Hello GSC,  ;D

I have read, and re-read posts about flange adjusting, etc.  Call me stupid, but when I look at their examples and read them I do not see where my flange is wacky. (shrugged shoulder emoji here, LOL).  I will look at the information a g a i n.

BTW, the other day when I re-loaded my 101, I ran away quicker than the first time.  Bwaahhhh haaa, back to my Leonardt Principal EF.  Don't know WHY I am loving that nib.  It seems to love me back.  ::)
Cheerfully,
Lyric