General Categories > Show & Tell

First page

(1/2) > >>

Ken Fraser:
Most of us experience an increase in tension as we near the completion of a complicated scroll or similar piece of calligraphy, but this doesn't compare with the increase in tension when writing on the introductory first page of an expensive, important book.
It has to be right first time because in even the most skilful hands of a bookbinder a spoilt and removed page is obvious and unacceptable.
When writing in this book for example, I waited until late evening when the phone was unlikely to ring, and I switched off the television to avoid distraction. I have found to my cost that I occasionally find myself writing the words I'm listening to. :-[
If I'm very lucky, I am sometimes allowed to write the page prior to the binding of the book but this is unfortunately unusual, and Inormally I don't even have a say in the choice of paper. Now and again I am supplied with a piece of the paper to test-run various inks, but this doesn't happen very often. Fortunately this type of work pays well so it's worth the angst!

Erica McPhee:
Brave, brave soul Ken! I refuse this type of work. I just donít have the stomach for it. I once did a funeral book for my neighbor and scanned the whole thing before I started in case I needed to reprint all the pages! But I was lucky because it was a ring binder and I could swap out pages if need be. Your work - not so much! Bravo!

Andrew Davies:
This is a gorgeous piece! More meaningful I suppose as I remember David Steel from his political heyday.

daviddigi:
You are a pro, Ken.

FlowerCityLetters:
Really incredible.

I'm not sure my nerves are up for it.

Would you mind sharing how you went about laying it out? It's beautifully centered and spaced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version