General Categories > Introductions

Left-handed sidewriter

(1/2) > >>

Boots55:
Left handed side writer. Man this is tough. I can do textbook copperplate with a pencil . I bought a really expensive flex-nib fountain pen and due to being a left-handed side writer (old dog new trick syndrome) I get pretty letters but the thick thin flow doesn’t work due to the pen nib orientation. HAS ANYONE ELSE OVERCOME or am I doomed to creating beautiful copperplate in pencil?

AnasaziWrites:

--- Quote from: Boots55 on January 12, 2022, 03:46:21 PM ---Left handed side writer. Man this is tough. I can do textbook copperplate with a pencil . I bought a really expensive flex-nib fountain pen and due to being a left-handed side writer (old dog new trick syndrome) I get pretty letters but the thick thin flow doesn’t work due to the pen nib orientation. HAS ANYONE ELSE OVERCOME or am I doomed to creating beautiful copperplate in pencil?

--- End quote ---
@Boots55
You might find something of interest in the Tutorials section of the forum, tips for lefties, here:
https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=41.0

jeanwilson:
If you keep rotating the paper so that your nib is parallel to the slant lines on your exemplar, you will find the *direction* that you need for allowing the nib to perform properly.

I have had students who end up with the paper pretty close to upside-down - which seems like it's too radical a change to work -
but, when you start with the basic strokes and you start seeing the proper thicks and thins, you realize that you are putting shapes together.

Keep the exemplar in the same orientation - and eventually - it all comes together.
I've seen left handed people who write on paper that is turned 45-degrees and further - just for their regular penmanship.

Keep looking at the individual strokes and how they fit together to make letters -- and words.

Boots55:
Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help me. I will try this metheod to see if Ican make any headway . Thanks again yer a sweety

Gary:
Hi,

I understand your frustration. Mitchell used to make a copperplate nib for lefti-handers with an elbow which will enable you to have a better angle of nib to paper. I don't know if they are still produced but it's worth checking out.

Don't give up.

Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version