Author Topic: Constructing Flourishes on Lettering  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Constructing Flourishes on Lettering
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:16:27 PM »
@Cyril Jayant  has asked for a few examples of how to use some flourishes and so I was practicing today and did these examples. These are slightly different from the ones @Ken Fraser posted here .

I like to keep my shades on downward strokes rather than fill them in as I almost always mess them up if I try to add them after.

A few pointers:
  • Let the direction of the letter dictate the flourish you use.
  • Keep the shapes of the flourish as oval as you can.
  • Use whole arm movement.
  • Decide if you want to do an over loop or under loop before starting.
  • Trace the shape of the flourish above the paper before putting nib to paper.
  • Develop a happy medium between speed and intention.
  • Use a primary shade, secondary, and even tertiary shade to add balance and interest.
  • End your flourish with intention, don’t just let it fly off the pen.

I did the Darby one first, white ink on black and included one on white paper without lines so you can see the flourish better. On this version, the main flourish comes down and to the right. On the Cyril, the flourish comes down and to the left.

These were done with a Zebra G.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing Flourishes on Lettering
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:18:16 PM »
@Erica McPhee:

While I’m still very much challenged just by writing with a pointed pen, I do enjoy playing with various flourish patterns as a break from my drills and basic script practice. Hoping this play may help get me closer to some nice flourishes when the time comes that the handwriting gets to be more natural.  So far with flourishing I’ve only attempted, without any proper instruction, simply duplicating the shapes of ones that appeal to me.  I like the tips and the fun shapes you’ve shared – they make sense even at my rudimentary level, so thanks!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 12:46:52 PM »
@Zivio I’m so glad you find the information helpful. These are fairly complex flourishes as well (in my mind). Duplicating what you see is the best way to make progress rather than trying to come up with a unique flourish on your own. The majority of good flourishing I see is made up of the same strokes over and over in a consistent pattern.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:34:44 AM »
@Erica McPhee
Thank you Erica !!

This is fantastic and it is very helpful  for me and of course I have to work very harder to get to this level. But I am doing well. I am on to the daily routine to keep to more drills and practice.
I have here some of my writings from my crappy folder.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:40:54 AM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »
@Cyril Jayant   Thank you for sharing examples of your practice --  it is not “crappy!”  Today it really inspired me to remember that everyone must dedicate time and effort to their practice.  As a beginner, I have often become frustrated by my lack of progress.  It is especially difficult when seeing beautiful writing on this forum and “perfect” exemplars in instruction books to feel like maybe I am somehow just not “cut out” for this.

I have seen many of your previous posts where you have mentioned hard work, long process or slow progress.  But then you have such a GREAT ATTITUDE about not giving up and being enthusiastic even after falling down!  Your positivity is admirable and just what I needed today to keep up the good fight.   

I sincerely appreciate your contributions to this forum!

With gratitude and thanks,
Karl
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:15:05 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 06:19:59 PM »
Yes @Cyril Jayant ! That is it! I agree whole heartedly with @Zivio - it’s not crappy at all. That is exactly what practice should look like. I have piles of pages of practice that never see the light of day.  ;D It’s important to make sure you are practicing, and studying, and analyzing what you are doing to make sure you are not practicing bad habits. If I don’t practice for a couple of weeks, it takes me days to get back up to snuff.  :)

Your practice looks GREAT!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
@Cyril Jayant   Thank you for sharing examples of your practice --  it is not “crappy!”  Today it really inspired me to remember that everyone must dedicate time and effort to their practice.  As a beginner, I have often become frustrated by my lack of progress.  It is especially difficult when seeing beautiful writing on this forum and “perfect” exemplars in instruction books to feel like maybe I am somehow just not “cut out” for this.

I have seen many of your previous posts where you have mentioned hard work, long process or slow progress.  But then you have such a GREAT ATTITUDE about not giving up and being enthusiastic even after falling down!  Your positivity is admirable and just what I needed today to keep up the good fight.   

I sincerely appreciate your contributions to this forum!

With gratitude and thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you and I appreciate your thoughts.
I am sure you are also  very enthusiastic on calligraphy learning.
Yes it is a long process and just like in every passion it has too soft spots and many ups and downs. All you need is be very observant and keep to your practice.
As this skill is never be on a perfect level as it is long journey on the rabbit hole, all you have to learn is to how to be impressed by your own past steps and enjoy and celebrate all progress you have already made. Then you have always room to move forward and be far more better. 

By the way When I said "CRAPPY WORK "... That means my work on Crappy paper and the writing on cheap papers..

Thank you for your kind words and `regards,
Cyril.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »
Yes @Cyril Jayant ! That is it! I agree whole heartedly with @Zivio - it’s not crappy at all. That is exactly what practice should look like. I have piles of pages of practice that never see the light of day.  ;D It’s important to make sure you are practicing, and studying, and analyzing what you are doing to make sure you are not practicing bad habits. If I don’t practice for a couple of weeks, it takes me days to get back up to snuff.  :)

Your practice looks GREAT!

@Erica McPhee
Thank you Erica. I am trying to make a ritual to put few minutes everyday onto writing. Some times it not happening but most of the time I am into that.
I am studying all the historical writing methods reading the instructions how every methods have been design. I am just following Copperplate/ English Round hand as my styles. And some Spencerian ( Mono-line )  and the rest of all my imaginary forms will come naturally around those two on a certain time.
I learnt THAT  CALLIGRAPHY IS 80% studying  and 20% practicing. ( by Paul Antonio )

So all you need is to have kind of continuous  hand warm up and some work and self critics. That will definitly shape you up one day.
Thank you again for you time Erica,!!!!
Cyril.