Author Topic: Greetings (also) from Los Angeles  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Greetings (also) from Los Angeles
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »
Hi everyone at Flourish!

I finally got myself registered here, after having seen so many familiar names on IG/Tumblr/Flickr mention this great forum. Thank you Erica for this wonderful resource! So thrilled to be in the company of such great calligraphers whose work I have been admiring online.

I'm Linda, I live in LA and am a member of the Society for Calligraphy and IAMPETH. I've been dabbling in calligraphy since the 6th grade, but started formal training a little over 2 years ago with Yukimi Annand. I have taken workshops with Michael Sull, Pat Blair, Jane Shibata, and Barbara Close. So far I've completed classes on the basics of Copperplate, Spencerian, Modern Pointed Pen, Roman Capitals, Foundational, Italic Hand, and currently working on Blackletter/Gothic. I hope to attend IAMPETH next Summer. I love calligraphy so much!

The pointed pen is my most favorite, so even when I'm knee-deep in Gothic, I still pick up my oblique holder and practice when I can. I can't even begin to tell so many of you all how much your work has been inspiring me since I joined Instagram and Tumblr. At times it's frustrating because I wish I could write better - and it makes me want to improve.

Hope to get to know you all better. :)

-Linda

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
Re: Greetings (also) from Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »
hey linda!!

good to see you here! where/what have you heard about this forum? i've only heard about it through instagram when i happened to comment on someone else's question on where to take online workshops!

this forum definitely has lots of helpful tutorials and videos!

torrie
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
hey linda!!

good to see you here! where/what have you heard about this forum? i've only heard about it through instagram when i happened to comment on someone else's question on where to take online workshops!

this forum definitely has lots of helpful tutorials and videos!

torrie

Hi hi Torrie!

I saw Erica's "Happy Thanksgiving" video on IG and came running over!  ;D

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
Hi Linda!

Welcome ~ so happy you found us! Wow - you have been doing some serious training with the best of the best! I checked out your website and it definitely shows! Your work is beautiful!

Your comment about the Thanksgiving video made me laugh!  ;D It's always great to meet fellow calligraphers and especially others who love calligraphy so much! (I've tried explaining it to non-calligraphers and they just don't get it!  :D )

I am new to Instagram, too. Boy, was I missing out! So happy to make new connections and see all the amazing work out there.

Again, welcome! Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:08:31 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Erica! Being a member of the SfC really gave me more opportunities to take classes and workshops from some of the "rockstar calligraphers" (in the academic sense) of the community. I'm a newbie who tried to squeeze in as many workshops as opportunities came along, LOL. ;D I could use at least ten more years before I can get to the level I would like to be at.

So glad to have a place to learn and share, where everyone is just as passionate about calligraphy as I am.