Author Topic: The Science of Learning: Motivation  (Read 534 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
The Science of Learning: Motivation
« on: December 10, 2023, 11:57:40 PM »
I have lately been on a huge “science of learning” jag and steeping myself in all manner of books, blogs, podcasts, and personal experimentation. This began w/ a “30-Day Superlearning Plan,” specifically for music, but I’ve been applying many of its concepts to penmanship.

One particular concept I learned about and wanted to apply, was that many successful learners in music, sports, art, or whatever, immerse themselves in their chosen interests by placing things in their environment ... pictures, posters, background music, etc. to motivate them. I'd been thinking about printing out samples of handwritten letters or other pieces that I've only looked at on my computer, and hang them in my study area.

I wanted to share this inexpensive frame thing I recently purchased. It's kind of pitched as a way to hang children's art, but I'm very pleased with its quality. Besides a frame, it has a glass door with magnetic closure, and you can store many sheets within! It is simple to change out the currently presented item, so I'm loving the flexibility of a changing view. Besides my print outs, I now also have a way to store and display letters I've saved from other people (thank you @AnasaziWrites and @Erica McPhee and @jeanwilson and @InkyFingers and @Vintage_BE !) that typically have only lived in a file folder.

You may find them on Amazon by searching "Rexllon Kids Art Frames"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:34:24 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Learning: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 09:13:57 AM »

I wanted to share this inexpensive frame thing I recently purchased. It's kind of pitched as a way to hang children's art, but I'm very pleased with its quality. Besides a frame, it has a glass door with magnetic closure, and you can store many sheets within! It is simple to change out the currently presented item, so I'm loving the flexibility of a changing view. Besides my print outs, I now also have a way to store and display letters I've saved from other people (thank you @AnasaziWrites and @Erica McPhee @InkyFingers !) that typically have only lived in a file folder.

You may find them on Amazon by searching "Rexllon Kids Art Frames"
@Zivio
Great idea. Thanks. Perhaps a way to display "letter/envelope of the month."

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:27:09 PM »
Love this!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:25:27 PM »
Oh I LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing! I am definitely going to get one for my studio. I will also have to send you a new letter this coming year so you have something fresh!  ;D

P.S. Do you recall where you purchased it?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 11:26:40 AM »
@Zivio kindly shared the link for the art gallery frame.

This is an Amazon affiliate link:

Art Gallery Frame
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline DavePete

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 11:21:40 PM »
A few thoughts...

"Make it Stick ",by Brown, Roediger, and McDaniel is an excellent book on learning and well worth the time spent reading. As to art and art skills such as calligraphy, the key is practice, practice and practice. The mental and physical repetition is needed to master any skill. Do a bit every day. It doesn't have to be much, just something to keep you involved and learning. The display you mentioned is a great way to keep it front and center in you life. Something as simple as leaning a piece on a bookshelf can be a positive reminder. The visible reminder can be inspiring and keep you on track. I wish you the best in your learning journey.
Read, Think, Write, Create