Author Topic: Rusty nib  (Read 430 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Rusty nib
« on: November 29, 2023, 09:19:45 AM »
A short while ago I bought several nibs from ebay. The advert said - 'Vintage Hinks, Wells & Co No. 3 Broad Stainless Steel Nib'. On reciept of the nibs I very quickly had a look at the nibs and had to put them away for a week or so before really looking at them.
The point of the post is this: On closer inspection I have noticed that the nib in question has rust on the outside left side (just below the word London) and also on the inside at the same level. The rust doesn't appear to have eaten through the metal.
I'm under the impression that stainless steel doesn't rust, so how is the nib rusty. I have no interest in debating with the seller as it is a nib costing a couple of £'s, but I do have an interest in learning about the nib. In adverts I have seen, when it states gold nib, am I correct in thinking that it is only the point to the back of the tines which are gold?, or is it actually the whole nib - likewise when it says stainless etc. I'm guessing that a brass stated nib is fully brass.

Also, is there anything to put on a nib to stop it rusting, other than to make sure the nib is totally dry once cleaned, and in point of the above mentioned nib, is there anything to stop it rusting more.
I'd appreciate an education if possible. Thank you.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty nib
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 10:22:39 AM »
Unfortunately, I don’t know much about this kind of thing. But if you search “rust” from the Home Screen you get lots of good threads on dealing with rusty nibs and a couple on vintage nibs. I think this should work: Rust Search. Best of luck with it!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 03:21:25 PM »
Thanks very much, love.

Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
I knew there was something else I wanted to ask -

Older nibs by way of antique/vintage never been used before. (early turn of 20th century/mid century 40's/50's)
Should they be treated the same way as 'new' nibs dating from 2000's as in - stick in a spud, spittal, lighter flash past, alcohol, white vinegar prior to dipping in the inkwell?
I'm tending to think probably not, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 01:06:22 AM »
I believe so but maybe @AnasaziWrites has different opinions. I have many vintage nibs and they still need to be treated. They make mention of having to prepare the nib in the old journals of the late 1800’s early 1900s. So I think so…  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 09:47:20 AM »
I knew there was something else I wanted to ask -

Older nibs by way of antique/vintage never been used before. (early turn of 20th century/mid century 40's/50's)
Should they be treated the same way as 'new' nibs dating from 2000's as in - stick in a spud, spittal, lighter flash past, alcohol, white vinegar prior to dipping in the inkwell?
I'm tending to think probably not, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.
@Mark T 
Yes, prepare all nibs of any age before using.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 10:13:55 AM »
A short while ago I bought several nibs from ebay. The advert said - 'Vintage Hinks, Wells & Co No. 3 Broad Stainless Steel Nib'. On reciept of the nibs I very quickly had a look at the nibs and had to put them away for a week or so before really looking at them.
The point of the post is this: On closer inspection I have noticed that the nib in question has rust on the outside left side (just below the word London) and also on the inside at the same level. The rust doesn't appear to have eaten through the metal.
I'm under the impression that stainless steel doesn't rust, so how is the nib rusty.
@Mark T
There are many kinds of stainless steel, and some do rust. The higher the chromium content, the less it's likely to rust. And no, I have no idea the amount of chromium in these nibs.

I have no interest in debating with the seller as it is a nib costing a couple of £'s, but I do have an interest in learning about the nib. In adverts I have seen, when it states gold nib, am I correct in thinking that it is only the point to the back of the tines which are gold?, or is it actually the whole nib - likewise when it says stainless etc. I'm guessing that a brass stated nib is fully brass.
Almost all dip  pen nibs that are said to be gold are gold plated. One interesting exception can be found in this old thread. I've been looking for one of these for ten years and have only found one other, and it was a straight nib, not oblique.
https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6007.msg72822#msg72822
There are many 14K gold fountain pen nibs though. If solid gold it will be stated on the nib (say, like 14K).

Also, is there anything to put on a nib to stop it rusting, other than to make sure the nib is totally dry once cleaned, and in point of the above mentioned nib, is there anything to stop it rusting more.
I'd appreciate an education if possible. Thank you.
After you dry the nib, you could put WD-40 or any machine oil on it, but you would then have to clean that off before using it again. Too much work. I would think you would wear out the nib before any significant rust developed and just toss it when it no longer performs well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:15:47 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 11:00:20 AM »
Thanks so much @AnasaziWrites . What a rabbit hole.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 01:04:38 PM »
@AnasaziWrites

Thank you so much for all of that. Very much appreciate your time and knowledge.
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying looking and buying nibs from 'ebay' at the moment, but I know that will stop, or slow down at least, in the near future. At present I am buying because the deals are their, and I'm learning, but I know that 'nice, quality' nibs are not going to be sold for pennies, but still, fun is fun.
Thanks once again.