Author Topic: Illuminated Initials Class Sept. 2015: MP Harvest Crittenden, Acorn Arts  (Read 4840 times)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
Master Penman Harvest Crittenden is offering an online class for Illuminated Initals. It is a four week class. More info located here http://www.acornarts.org/online-classes.html

"In this 4 week class we will cover everything you need to know to create beautiful illuminated initials. They make perfect gifts for the upcoming holiday season! Step by step we will study Lombardic initials, add ribbon details wrapping the initial, draw and transfer our patterns, learn how to make color decisions, gilding, floating shell gold, painting techniques, and add a background pattern or design element. For our inspiration we will be using a beautiful 16th century Lombardic alphabet that has ribbons and florals. You are free to use a diaper pattern background if you choose. For beginning students, you will be able to use a pre-drawn initial if you are not comfortable creating your own. For the more advanced students- the more creative the better! Design away. We will discuss all of this the first week.

The class will be 4 weeks, posted by 5:00 pm EST on Wednesday, September 9, 16, 23, & 30, 2015. The class will remain posted through the second week of October should any one need to make up a date."

I love taking classes with Harvest. She is a great teacher. Her forum is a great place to be during her classes because you get to see other peoples homework too. I plan on taking it and I hope to see people from FF there too.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
I've signed up :)

I'm planning to take her Beginner Spencerian next year, too.  I've been delaying and delaying Spence ... it's time. I need to stop being scared!

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
Thanks for the heads up Amy

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Anyone who has done online classes with Harvest before: how does it work? I have paid, but heard nothing else - I guess I should just wait for an email to come out to participants?

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Anyone who has done online classes with Harvest before: how does it work? I have paid, but heard nothing else - I guess I should just wait for an email to come out to participants?
Yes, just wait.

I'm not taking this class, since I'm not interested in that subject matter. ::)
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Ughhhhh I would LOVE to take this class, but my parents will be visiting and I'll be traveling then... worst timing ever :'(
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline unscripted

• View Profile
So sad I cannot make it in September! Would Harvest consider another session...maybe in winter? /hopeful

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Pondering whether to go for it. It seems to be exceptionally good value for money... I like illuminated letters very much, but need encouragement to put pen/paint brush to paper.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
I've signed up :)

I'm planning to take her Beginner Spencerian next year, too.  I've been delaying and delaying Spence ... it's time. I need to stop being scared!

Yay Moya!! :D

I took Harvest's intro to Spencerian class last year and learned so much. She's a wonderful teacher. She had an advanced class after that but I did not sign up because I felt I wasn't ready. Hopefully she will have her advanced class again next year.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile

I'm not taking this one (same reason as Natascha  :) ), but I do plan to take the Spence class. Glad to hear you're taking it, too, Moya!

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy

She emails out the info about a week before. She will give you a forum account and password. The supply list must still be getting processed too through John Neal.

Sorry others are busy. I hope we do gilding. I have always loved the look of it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:20:50 PM by AmyNeub »

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
I'll probably be taking it … would love to … depends a bit on how much I'll have to do in September :)!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
I'm signing up too. Even if I don't have time to practice or work on the homework as much as I would like, I still feel like I learn so much from her classes.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
I signed up last week. Can't wait. That's a great price.

The advanced Spencerian was great. It was capital variations.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
i totes signed up for this on the spot! sooo looking forward to it!