Author Topic: How to Mix Gouache  (Read 65252 times)

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
Re: How to Mix Gouache
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
Can I just say...that after months of not touching gouache because I thought I would never get the consistency right...well, I finally did!!!!

woohoo!! The upstrokes are now showing! Using the pipette and a brush makes all the difference :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
Hooray! That is great news! Feels pretty good. I used to be so intimidated by gouache, now I love writing with it!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »
I don't know how I've never tried gouache considering the dozens of other mediums I've tried using to write with my broad-edge pens but this video helped a ton, thanks! I tried both with and without Gum Arabic, depending on the nib I tested, and it flowed well either way.

Where did you get your oblique? I love it!

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
I don't know how I've never tried gouache considering the dozens of other mediums I've tried using to write with my broad-edge pens but this video helped a ton, thanks! I tried both with and without Gum Arabic, depending on the nib I tested, and it flowed well either way.

Where did you get your oblique? I love it!

Thank you :) It's a lovely piece of work made by Brian Smith (UniqueObliques)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
A short update regarding the Schmincke gold pearl I was having problems with (dry upstrokes) – it works now. It sounds stupid, I just hadn't added enough water before. I thought it would become too transparent, but it's still nicely opaque. I just added more and more distilled water ;D.

Still it's not so comfortable like regular ink, but so worth the trouble, I think!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »
If I have a problem with flow with gouache I add a drop of Ox Gall liquid... but only one drop otherwise I get the opposite problem. I like making mixes... it makes me feel like I'm an eccentric scientist :-)

Offline maureen97

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Erica - thank you so much for this video!! I did not know about loading the pen with a brush before and now this has opened up so many possibilities!!  I've been hunting through my craft room for all sorts of different coloring media to use with my pointed pen and my practice work is even more fun now with color!!  My fave has got to be the Twinkling H2Os - just *love* that little bit of shimmer!

~Maureen :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
Thank you, Erica!  Very helpful video!!

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »
i know i'm late to the party, but thanks for this erica!!! it's great to see "in real life" approximately how much water one should add as well as what the consistency of the ink should look like!
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
@Andy T:  We Yanks also engage in mutilating English, sometimes just to annoy our friends across the Pond!  ;D  Just kidding @ourclosestally!

Offline CharissaF

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
Can you mix a substantial amount of gouache, especially if mixing a color ? And how do you store it? Can you dip the pen if you prefer. New to gouache. Love the color possibilities.
Thanks,
Charissa

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »
charissa you can mix a substantial amount of gouache if you want.  but, really, even a pinch goes a long way since you will be dissolving it in water anyway.  i use small plastic containers with a lid to as storage.  dipping the pen in gouache never worked for me (maybe it doesn't really work).  you have to load it on the nib using a brush.  i tried dipping it too before when i was started to use them, but it wouldn't flow out of the nib. 
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline CharissaF

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Thank you... Can't wait to try it.

Offline flourishmetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:36 AM »
I experimented with gouache for the first time today. What rhythm works for loading the ink onto the nib with a brush? I found the process awkward and I was tense anticipating the brush to fall from its precarious resting spot.  I used a plate to hold the brush while I lettered with the pen.

Thanks for this video and helpful comments.
Kim

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 01:44:50 AM »
Getting used to loading with a brush (or with a dropper), I think, is about getting comfortable with the way you write first. When I first started I hated loading my nib because I had to stop and of course I would drop it but it had more to do with the fact that I hadn't developed a good writing pace. Now that I'm used to writing more and keeping rhythm, it's a seamless transition from the brush to the nib to the paper.