Author Topic: The handwriting movement; study of motor factors of excellence in penmanship  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
I thought others might be interested in this study by Frank Freeman that was published in 1918. It's basically an in depth study of the motor movements that make up fine penmanship. A large group of children and adults and C. P. Zaner had their hand movements filmed while they were writing and the individual film frames analyzed to determine pen grip, hand positioning, movement speed, and wrist and finger movement if any. It's actually pretty interesting to see the collection of data they amassed and how they tried to see if there were certain quantifiable attributes to good penmanship. I enjoyed skimming through it just to see some of the analysis they did for Zaner's penmanship and some frame by frame drawings they did of his hand position. It is a bit on the dry side I have to admit.

The link below starts at pg 34 in the study (drawings of Zaner's hand position when writing). The beginning of chapter three (pg 31) is where they start to talk about some of the results of their analysis.

https://archive.org/stream/handwritingmovem00free#page/34/mode/1up