Author Topic: Making your own walnut ink?  (Read 13847 times)

Offline cherlotuspixel

• I'm a purple princess!
    • View Profile
    • Cher's Creative Space
Re: Making your own walnut ink?
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:22 AM »
Oh wow. This thread is really informative. It has never occurred to me to make my own walnut ink.
Full-time Interior Designer & blogger. I blog at Cher's Creative Space.
Some of my works are on Instagram too.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to show you my first walnut ink, made from some vandyke crystals I found on eBay. Since I have never use any kind of walnut ink, what do you think? Too dark? I use a bit less than 2grams in about 30 ml hot water. First attempt went wrong when I added some alcohol and tea tree oil as conservative. It somehow got too watery to write. So this one is just crystals and water. Do you think it will grew mold or anything?
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to show you my first walnut ink, made from some vandyke crystals I found on eBay. Since I have never use any kind of walnut ink, what do you think? Too dark? I use a bit less than 2grams in about 30 ml hot water. First attempt went wrong when I added some alcohol and tea tree oil as conservative. It somehow got too watery to write. So this one is just crystals and water. Do you think it will grew mold or anything?

Looks good to me!  Depends on how dark you want it.  You can probably salvage the dilute ink by leaving the top of the jar for a few days.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
Looks good to me too.  You could add some more crystals to darken it, but I'd be contented with that.  Alcohol will probably change the flow characteristics, so it makes sense that it was writing thin.  Leaving the lid off works wonders for some thin ink, but the tea tree oil bothers me a bit - on balance I'd get rid of that batch.

I've never had problems with mould growing in this ink (or any other), and my feeling is that a full jar with a tight fitting lid is likely the best safeguard against it.  If it does happen you might try adding a little salt or vinegar instead of the alcohol and oil: both are traditional ink preservatives in addition to working wonders for fish and chips.  :)

Offline cherlotuspixel

• I'm a purple princess!
    • View Profile
    • Cher's Creative Space
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
looks loads better than my own first mix. Though, I didn't know that walnut ink can grow molds. Eeep.
Full-time Interior Designer & blogger. I blog at Cher's Creative Space.
Some of my works are on Instagram too.

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
Looks good to me. How dark or light walnut ink is really a personal choice. And I like how I can tailor my walnut ink to how I feel that day. I add distilled water to my walnut crystals and I don't get mould at all.

Offline Karina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 11:21:46 PM »
Looks good to me. How dark or light walnut ink is really a personal choice. And I like how I can tailor my walnut ink to how I feel that day. I add distilled water to my walnut crystals and I don't get mould at all.

hey sue! sorry for the daftness... but how do you get distilled water? a bottle of evian?

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »
Karina, I use bottled water. :) Not necessarily Evian. :D

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 01:47:24 AM »

hey sue! sorry for the daftness... but how do you get distilled water? a bottle of evian?

Pure distilled water is used in batteries (old type car batteries)
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 01:52:55 AM »
Evian is of course not distilled water that is usually also free from any minerals. It is also used in steam irons. I can buy it cheaply in any drug store 😉.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 03:04:25 AM »
Thank you for all the tips! The first batch I got rid of just because I didn't have another container at the moment, but I will remember for future times!

I used boiled water, but you can get distilled water easily here just searching for that water used in ironing, radiators, cars and that sort of things you dont want residuos from the water evaporation in them.
Alba.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
Looks good to me too.  You could add some more crystals to darken it, but I'd be contented with that.  Alcohol will probably change the flow characteristics, so it makes sense that it was writing thin.  Leaving the lid off works wonders for some thin ink, but the tea tree oil bothers me a bit - on balance I'd get rid of that batch.

I've never had problems with mould growing in this ink (or any other), and my feeling is that a full jar with a tight fitting lid is likely the best safeguard against it.  If it does happen you might try adding a little salt or vinegar instead of the alcohol and oil: both are traditional ink preservatives in addition to working wonders for fish and chips.  :)

I had a mold problem in a jar of McCaffrey's violet ink.  Removed the mold and more just grew.  A few drops of tea tree oils completely solved the problem and it was been over a year mold-free.   I don't think the quality of the ink  has been effected, but then I have never really liked it-- too watery.  There is a video from Joe Vitolo where the ink looks dark and velvety (like his lettering).  Really don't know how he did that.

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
Walnut ink is super and lasts a lot.
I use it for practicing calligraphy and also for some cards that should be formal (and as an alternative of black one)

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 04:53:17 PM »
Inked botanicals, I've made walnut from both, crystals and black walnuts.  The ink from the crystals has never caused a moment's problem but the home made has shown signs of growing a bit of mold a couple of times, but that s'in the ink well I use all the time, not the jar I store it in.  In either case, I have added a few drops of alcohol, but to skim the top of the ink, not necessarily to mix in.  The nice thing about walnut ink is its forgiveness.  If it's too light in color just add more crystals.  Too dark?  Add more water.  Too thin?  Add a drop or two of gum arabic.  It's pretty much fool proof. 
Debbie

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
Thanks Debbie! I am very happy with the ink, love the shading. For the moment it seems all right, but I will remember your tips in casi something happens.
Alba.