Tutorials > Copperplate Tutorial by SMK

Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1

<< < (3/96) > >>

Mamashag:
My calligraphy journey began mid April 2016. I'm still very much a newbie struggling with the basics. My instructors have been social media, YouTube, blogs, and books. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from your experience.

Salman Khattak:
@weavingheart

Rachel - it is great that you have started analysing your work from the very first practice sheet. This habit will help you more than anything else in your calligraphy journey.

It is not a bad start by any means as I can see improvement in the second sheet already. Left handed under-writers have an advantage in writing Copperplate as their pen is naturally aligned with the slant.

Here is what I have observed in your work:

1. You are not doing your practice in groups of 5. This method (as explained in the the 'i' part of the lesson) is very useful in developing a critical eye as well as preventing boredom from filling up pages of the same letter. It also helps me get the feel for a letter quicker. I strongly suggest you give it a try.

2. The slant has a tendency to 'stand up' i.e. be a little more vertical than required. This is easily fixed by turning the paper clockwise. Make a habit of checking that the slant lines are aligned with the slit in your nib. That's it - slant issue solved :-)

3. The hairline has a bit of a curve to it. It start low and curves up and more or less matches the slant line of 55 degrees by the time it reaches 1/2 x-height where it is supposed to meet the down-stroke. You will get the hang of it with a little practice.

- Salman

Salman Khattak:
Welcome @Mamashag - I will be looking forward to your participation. Please feel free to ask any questions.

- Salman

Salman Khattak:
@ash0kgiri

Your feedback is on point Ashok. The only thing I have reservations about is printing guidelines with more slant lines. It only takes a little practice to get the angle of the paper right and I think it helps not to rely too heavily on guidelines. Guidelines can easily become a crutch if one relies on them too much I think.

- Salman

Mamashag:
My first attempt with i's using Moon Palace blk ink and Zebra G nib on hp paper. I have tried many inks, nibs, and papers but my results all look about the same to my untrained eye. I am a lefty using a straight pen holder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version