Author Topic: Kurrentschrift--Want some?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Kurrentschrift--Want some?
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
Following up an earlier post
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6049.msg73463#new
I thought I'd explain my interest in this script.
My wife's grandmother was an Engsberg, and her grandfather came with his family to the US from Prussia in 1849, as noted in the book he brought with him, which he inscribed in Kurrentscrift, the cursive of the time (contemporaneous with Spencerian). I thought it might be fun to be able to read what he wrote. The book is the fat one in the first picture.
@fderk
@Estefa
@tintenfuchs  (I know you're from Vienna, Natascha, but you're welcome too)

Which brings up an idea. As fderk noted, it's a rarely used script these days in Germany (or anywhere). Want to see if the German post office can read it and deliver an envelope/card addressed using it? If so, pm me your address and I'll send you a card or letter addressed using Kurrentschrift (I'll probably have to use regular English to get the card out of this country, but otherwise it will be in Kurrentschrift). Anyone from a German speaking place can participate.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:57:46 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Kurrentschrift--Want some?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
I'd love that! Austria used Kurrent too, so I'd be curious! :)
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Aaaah, that's fun @AnasaziWrites ! I've been practicing Kurrent from time to time, also I made a more »readable« version, you can have a look at it here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcNIrbXHj8k/?taken-by=federflugcalligraphy

I remeber that I read somewhere that the German post has to deliver mail adressed in Kurrent! I've never tested this … hehe! I'm really curious if this works!

I'll have a look at your text today in the evening – but to be honest, I can write Kurrent better than I can read it, especially if it's more handwrity than calligraphic …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
I'd love that! Austria used Kurrent too, so I'd be curious! :)
@tintenfuchs

Great. PM me your current address.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
Aaaah, that's fun @AnasaziWrites ! I've been practicing Kurrent from time to time, also I made a more »readable« version, you can have a look at it here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcNIrbXHj8k/?taken-by=federflugcalligraphy

I remeber that I read somewhere that the German post has to deliver mail adressed in Kurrent! I've never tested this … hehe! I'm really curious if this works!

I'll have a look at your text today in the evening – but to be honest, I can write Kurrent better than I can read it, especially if it's more handwrity than calligraphic …
Great.
I think I may be able to read it with a little study, although my German is really rusty. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. No rush on a translation, though--we've had this book a long time.
I'll take a look at your more readable version. It seems to evolved over the many years. I'm using what was taught in the 1870's. I have three instruction books on it.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »
Here is a very rough translation – but I really can't write all of it …

This […] book of sermons is
dedicated
to the
family Theodor Engsberg
from
Abraham Blum
[…] 27 february 1849, to America,
with the most heartfelt wishes that
the very same as companion of your ways
through your whole life […] until the end
[…]
with this all of us close.
Sophia Blum, born […]
Johann Wilhelm Blum 24 years old
Amalia Gerdraut Blum 16 years old
Hermann Blum 12 years old
Gustav Blum 3 years old

I also have several instructions, there are so many versions!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
Here is a very rough translation – but I really can't write all of it …

This […] book of sermons is
dedicated
to the
family Theodor Engsberg
from
Abraham Blum
[…] 27 february 1849, to America,
with the most heartfelt wishes that
the very same as companion of your ways
through your whole life […] until the end
[…]
with this all of us close.
Sophia Blum, born […]
Johann Wilhelm Blum 24 years old
Amalia Gerdraut Blum 16 years old
Hermann Blum 12 years old
Gustav Blum 3 years old

I also have several instructions, there are so many versions!
Gee, thanks. That's great.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
Glad :).

Ah and I meant of course, I can't read all of it – not write ;).

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
Glad :).

Ah and I meant of course, I can't read all of it – not write ;).
Understood.

Thinking further on it, I'll open up this offer to anyone anywhere who would like to receive a card (I'm thinking postcard) addressed in Kurrent. No reply is necessary, and if you choose to reply, it can be in any form or script, your choice.
pm me your email if interested.

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Some of my ancestors came from Friedeberg, Prussia in 1849.  I believe Prussia just went through some political turmoil so many people emigrated.  We have a bible from them with handwritten Kurrentschrift that I've always found pretty much indecipherable.
Todd

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »
Some of my ancestors came from Friedeberg, Prussia in 1849.  I believe Prussia just went through some political turmoil so many people emigrated.
Quite right. A number of revolutions broke out in Europe in 1848, and King Frederick William IV agreed to call a national assembly to create a constitution (to avoid a revolution at home?). The Frankfurt Parliament dissolved in 1849 and the king issued the first constitution by his own authority in 1850. Also, the first war of Schleswig was from 1848-1851, to the north of Friedberg, and being near the Main river, was probably involved in some way (transportation of forces perhaps). Tumultuous times.

We have a bible from them with handwritten Kurrentschrift that I've always found pretty much indecipherable.
Would love to see some of this Kurrentshrift, if you would like to share it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:24:34 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
I'll see if I can borrow it from my sister.
Todd

Offline fderk

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
For the once caring or interested in history:
Historically the time around 1848 was signed by revolutions all over Europe because of the lately upcoming idea of nation and the attempt of the lower class (in most cases) to break free from the chains of monarchy, absolutism and other forms of elite-exclusive ruling.
The desire for a constitution caused uprisings and to prevent them to spread most rulers established parliaments to calm the masses. The Frankfurt parliament was one of those. As to say, its greatest weakness was that it was still dependent on the monarchs of Prussia (or the ones of Austria) for it had no own army to enforce rights and defend the people. Additionally the Frankfurt Parliament was deeply split inside itself, as the parties in the parliament were focussing extremely different aims, consisting of ultra-right wing (conservatives) to ultra-liberals and (at that time only few and radical) democrats, resulting in political inability to act as one. Whats interesting about this, is that mostly it consisted of very well educated people.
When then the July crisis in Schleswig emerged the Prussian monarch took his chance and dubbed the Parliament in an elegant way. As it was obvious then, that the Parliament was relying on help from "the outside" to act, he showed all, that it was unable to act and etablished a peace treaty with (i think it was already called like that then) Denmark without consulting the Frankfurt Parliament, and by doing so demonstrated their lack of power, discrediting them publically. This resulted in the desolving of the Parliament as it was shown to be not functioning. By the way, as a fun fact: The King of Prussia was offered the crown (of "Germany" - this would be the so called "kleindeutsche Lösung") before, but he refused.
But although as the Frankfurt Parliament resulted in a catastrophe, the desire for a Parliament got stronger and stonger. As you might now, by the end of the 19th century in Germany the Kaiserreich under Bismarck as chancellor was established, then playing a major role in politics. So the idea of constitution won in the long term (obviously at least today, as there are only a few monarchies left - and most of them only representative).

So far. If anyone can correct me, feel free to. This is what I remember by heart of that time, so maybe there are slight mistakes. And of course this is non-scientific. But if you are interested, I can give you some pointers for literature in which you can read about it.
Greetings
fderk