Author Topic: Hello from Foggy California...  (Read 560 times)

Offline Dustyboots

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Foggy California...
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
Not all of California is sunny! I'm from the Central Coast, where the cold ocean currents sweep in from the Pacific. During the summer we have heavy, thick fog with temperatures in the low 60's. Just 15 miles inland the temperatures reach the low 100's. During the winter we have bright sun in the mid-60's and the same places inland are in the low 40's. A great place to live!

I am entirely brand new to calligraphy. I have been a user of fountain pens for many years, and also use several at work. I'm restricted to just blue ink (for legal reasons), but luckily there are almost a 100 shades of blue available from different manufacturers. At home I use muddy green colors for writing

I would like to begin learning Spencerian as a way to unwind and placed an order fron Paper, Ink & Arts. Arriving later this week is an hourglass oblique pen holder, 4 Leonardt Principal nibs, some Dinky Dips, Higgins Eternal and Norton's Walnut inks, and two books, Micheal Sull's Spencerian and Bill Kemp's Guidelines. I already have lots of A4 Rhodia pads in lined and graph. So hopefully, that should help me get started.

I would like to thank Erica for setting up this lovely forum and all the other members here for their help and encouragement to newbies like me.

All the Best.
“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” --- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Hello from Foggy California...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:56:19 AM »
Hello and welcome, Dusty!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
From the subject title, I thought maybe you were my neighbor in the SF Bay! ;)  I used my heater quite a bit this summer.  Brrr!  The central coast is so beautiful - definitely a great place to live.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum!

Offline Dustyboots

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »
Thank-you so much for the nice welcome, Scarlet Blue and Bianca M! I used to live in Berkeley for many years and worked in Emeryville. Glad to finally be away from all that traffic.
“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” --- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »
A belated welcome @Dustyboots And thank you! Hopefully your package has arrived by now and you are digging into your learning. There are some free “tutorials” on line to learn Spencerian in the old newsletters. Schin Loong also published a book this summer that has Spencerian practice using the Declaration of Independence.

Your weather sounds awesome to me! I hate the heat and I live in southwest FL. I used to live in San Diego for awhile in college. They always say it never gets above mid80s there but that was sooo not true when I was there!  ;D

Hope you are enjoying Flourish!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram