Author Topic: Alternative to dip pen  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to dip pen
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 08:00:48 PM »
Interesting, when I click on that link, my security system (Bitdefender) temporarily blocks it, warning that it may download injurious software onto my computer, and asks me if I want to proceed to the website anyway (I didn't). Perhaps it's downloading cookies onto your system, resulting in the ads you're seeing.

Thanks Mike, I have multiple anti-virus, anti-malware, and a VPN - haven’t had any issue with it. Perhaps it is cookies which are on every website. But the ads came from Pinterest and Instagram. They always do this. If I buy something or search it, they will advertise it to me over and over again. It’s a thing.  ;D I think we have talked about it somewhere else on the forum. Thanks though!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 08:42:08 AM »
@K2 The nibs have left Singapore, and I am awaiting anxiously. I will let everyone know when they arrive. I will also be sure to post up here as soon as I get one made.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 05:59:02 PM »
Wow these are beautiful pens! I took a cheaper route and ordered a Noodlers Ahab Flex fountain pen that is suppose to give the same line contrast as a traditional point pen. Looking forward to trying it out. Have you heard of/tried those?

I bit; not impressed with my Ahab.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 07:09:40 PM »
@Empty_of_Clouds - You're absolutely right about the plastic feed on the Elabo, but I've never have a problem with ink flow from it.  I think the Pilot EF+Extra-Soft nib combo is key for good line variation, although the thin lines still aren't as hair-like as from the G-nib fountain pens.  The ink flow is way better and it's very low maintenance.  It'll never do pointed pen calligraphy like a real dip pen (especially with an oblique holder), of course, and I admit that I use it most for sketching and layout drafting.  I've always wanted to try the Pilot FA -- interesting to know that it still doesn't have that snap.  The Elabo isn't snappy either, but I still love it.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 09:41:47 PM »
Here's a side by side comparison (on Tomoegawa 64gsm paper)
Desiderata (ebonite body, ebonite feed, Nikko-G nib) w/Diamine Earl Grey ink
Pilot Elabo (red resin body, plastic feed, extra-fine, extra-soft nib) w/Platinum Sepia Black ink

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 02:52:45 AM »
Wow! I think the Elabo writing looks nicer than the Zebra G here.   The Elabo is on my wish list, just haven't decided on the resin or metal version yet.  :)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 03:23:23 PM »
@Empty_of_Clouds - my resin Elabo weighs in at 10g fully loaded.  It's a feather-weight pen, and I love it.  Some people like a little more heft though, in which case the metal version might be more comfortable.

My Desiderata has some ink-flow issues, which messed with the hairlines in that writing sample; I've got it adjusted for more freewheeling sketching in anticipation of Inktober. And at x=5mm it's at the small end of what I'd try to write with it.  The Elabo does much better for smaller letters.  But if you want to write with an x-height of 10mm of larger, the Desiderata would be my pick for well proportioned letters, and I do use it for layout drafting at that size.

I hope you get the pen you're longing for!
--K

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 04:59:46 AM »
I had a Desiderata, back when Pierre was first starting out.  Eventually sold it because I found that if I want to fiddle around with a Zebra G it was easier in an actual dip nib holder that didn't require the extra complication of a feed.  Liked the pen but personal choice to go in a different direction.   

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »
@Empty_of_Clouds - I totally hear you on the Desiderata.  I definitely wouldn't choose it for regular writing.

I've actually had a really fraught relationship with my Desiderata.  I was crushingly disappointed when it first came in the mail, and I hadn't figured out how to adjust it to suit my needs.  It leaked everywhere; it burped; it blobbed; it dumped; writing even draft-quality calligraphy was out of the question; it seemed like 100% more trouble than it was worth, and inferior to simply dipping a G-nib in every possible way.  I actually put it away for over a year and just didn't use it.

But then, one Inktober, I determined to only do line sketches and spend less than 15 minutes on each.  I knew I wanted the expressiveness of a G-nib, but I didn't want to fiddle with dipping for what was supposed to be spontaneous art, and I find the modified Jinhaos much too heavy for comfortable sketching.  So I spent some time and a fair amount of ink learning how to adjust it... and it still burps and splatters, but I've come to see those as serendipitous expressive elements.  And I usually have ink all over my hands anyway.

Here's a sketch I did with the Desiderata and a water-brush.  Sorry that this might be getting away from the calligraphy brief of the Forum, but probably other people here draw as well as letter.  And I swear I'm not shilling for Pierre.

Does anyone else have a flexy fountain pen that they particularly like?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 02:24:51 PM »
Wow @K-2  - LOVE the squid illustration!

My review of the BlueDew Flex pen is up!   :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram