Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1  (Read 77169 times)

ash0kgiri

Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »
Hi @Mamashag

Thats just amazing. Doest look like its your first attempt :D

Offline Mamashag

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
Many thanks. I have written many i's but never 5 together and never a whole page. It was a good lesson. I will work on the other letters in this lesson tomorrow and maybe get at least 3 correct in a series of 5.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
@ash0kgiri
Guidelines can easily become a crutch if one relies on them too much I think.

I need to then work towards getting rid of the crutches myself before its too late.

Thanks,
Ashok

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 12:46:44 AM »
@ash0kgiri
Guidelines can easily become a crutch if one relies on them too much I think.

I need to then work towards getting rid of the crutches myself before its too late.

Thanks,
Ashok

I think I should elaborate on this topic a bit. What I meant by Guidelines becoming crutches applies to the skill building activities. For fair work, I recommend using as many guidelines as needed.

I can quite comfortably write a full page at a consistent and more or less correct slant without using any slant guides but I will use all kinds of guidelines (along with pencilling in markers) if I was composing a letter to say Dr. Vitolo or Nick D'Acquanno :-)

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »
@Mamashag

Thank you for uploading your lessons. You have very good control of the slant and the letter shapes are very nice too. Your joins are particularly nice as they flow quite seamlessly into the following letter.

Here is my feedback:

1. The width of the shade is a little weak for this x-height. You might want to use a more flexible nib if it helps.

2. You have a tendency to start the taper a bit too early at the bottom. There are a number of 'i's in the first part of the page that are kind of wedge shaped. The lifting of the pressure and slight movement to the right is done only in the last 1/3rd of the x-height. This will be more apparent with a thicker shade.

Keep at it - you are pretty much there.

- Salman

ash0kgiri

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 01:48:55 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Salman. Appreciate.

Offline weavingheart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Weaving Heart
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 04:12:00 AM »
@SMK , that's excellent feedback. I started in the groups of five then drifted out of it so I'll make sure I do that next time. The information about the slit in the nib and the slant lines is really useful, I didn't know that
💕

ash0kgiri

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
Its always good to go back to basics. And once I've done that here's what I feel about them.
For all others to refer, this is how I self analyse my worksheets. Im sure I've missed out on lot of things which Salman will point out.
From my learning its always good to be a tough critique yourself.

Hope this would be of some help.

Thanks,
-Ashok

Offline weavingheart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Weaving Heart
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
Right, just finished today's practice. I was planning to share another photo but I'm still working on my earlier feedback so think I'll leave it. Please tell me that I will get better. Not like a little better but respectably better?
There's quite a few groups on a certain social media site where folk share their first attempts and it looks amazing compared to mine. I'm not scared of working hard, I just want it to be worthwhile.
Thanks
💕

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
@weavingheart

Rachel - you will get as good as you want to be. There is absolutely nothing holding you back. Each of us learn in our own way so it doesn't really mean anything where you are in comparison with others. Your guarantee of success comes from the work you are willing to put into learning or doing anything.

Please don't feel like you need to do it in a hurry either. I believe it is more important to enjoy the process than to make progress quickly. It might not feel like it but you are improving with every stroke.

I shared the following in another thread but I think it is quite relevant here:

BTW - do you know the story about Lupfer when he joined the Zanerian College of Penmanship? The story goes that he showed such poor results after a few weeks of study that Zaner called him in his office and offered to refund his fees if he wanted to quit. Zaner did not think Lupfer had the required skill and control to be any good at penmanship. Needless to say, Lupfer refused, got to work and became one of the best penman of his time. He eventually rose to become the Principal at the Zanerian college.

You can see some of his work here: E. A. Lupfer. Don't forget to look at the link titled Earl A. Lupfer - Progress in Script.

Keep at it.

- Salman

Offline weavingheart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Weaving Heart
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »
Just what I needed to hear, thank you
💕

Offline hmc

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 06:25:02 PM »
Thank you so much for these lessons! I started studying Copperplate last year but, due to some crazy life events, had to put away the nibs and holders for awhile. I'm really excited to get back into it! Looking forward to learning from you :)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 02:11:31 AM »
You are most welcome Hannah. It will be great to have you join in. We have a very helpful community here and I am sure you will find good support from all in your journey to master Copperplate.

I will be looking forward to your participation.

Regards,
Salman

Offline weavingheart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Weaving Heart
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »
Way far from perfect (esp those 'l's in 'will'!) but I'm really pleased to have made some progress. I need to focus on consistency in angle, letter spacing and squaring off but so far so good.
💕

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
@weavingheart

This shows much improvement Rachel. You have a natural sense of letter shapes. This is a good thing but it can sometimes dictate the strokes which is something we don't want. I will address this in the instructions for the next exercise below.

Your slant is still off but it is consistent. Remember to slide the paper after every couple of words to keep the writing area in the 'sweet spot'. Also, make a habit of checking that the slit of the nib and the slant lines are more or less aligned when you write - turn the paper if to align them, don't modify your grip.

Your work has clearly improved since the last exercise. Now we need to refine it. Here you go:

1. Lift the pen for a beat at the bottom of your stroke when you reach the base line. This will break down the letter into components and you will no longer be writing an 'i' or a 'u' but just drawing a shaded stroke. It also keeps the turns from becoming too rounded. This is important in Copperplate.

2. Introduce just a tiny bit more space between your letters so the exit hairline joins the shaded stroke of the next letter naturally at around 1/2 x-height. You will notice that there is very little space for the crossbar of the 't' when it is next to an 'l' - a bit more space between the letters will fix that.

3. The dot of the 'i' should be the same thickness as the shaded stroke of the 'i'.

4. Start your entry hairline at the base line and go up. In the 'i' of 'ill' and the 'j' of 'jilt' you have a curve that first goes down to the base line.

I think this exercise bears repeating with these points in mind. Keeping to the slant is important but being consistent in the slant is even more important - and you have that covered.

Let's do 'wilt', 'built', 'jilt' and a word of your choice for the next round. I will be looking forward to it.

- Salman