Author Topic: Computer fonts for layouts  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Jodi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Computer fonts for layouts
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »
I've been experimenting with using Microsoft Publisher and various fonts to work up layouts for pieces I'm working on, with some degree of success.  It helps to get centering and spacing figured out, and experiment with different indentation and layout options.

Does anyone know of a good source to get calligraphic fonts?

Thanks.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Computer fonts for layouts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »
dafont.com has a lot of free fonts - you have to wade through a lot of really bad ones to find the good ones. be careful of any other free font sites as you can click on things that will cause problems within your computer - i don't know what to call it - it's not exactly a virus, but it messes things up.

myfonts.com has nearly everything you could ever want - for sale. they have a few free fonts. they have a feature where you can type in the letters or words you want, and they appear in whatever size you choose and you can save the images to a word doc. this does not give you the font, but if you just want a template with all the letters, it is very helpful. it's what i use to find all the caps when i am doing envelopes and someone brings an invitation that uses a font that is new to me.

using fonts to do layouts is a huge time saver. keep in mind, you do not have to have the exact style of lettering to do a layout. what you need is something approximate that will give you the spacing. Milton One and Milton Two - available at dafonts (for free) is very nice for figuring out spacing and layouts for anything in the copperplate family.

Offline Jodi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
Thank you so much for this helpful information.  I will check it out right away!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
Great advice from Jean (as always!)  ;D

I search free fonts on Pinterest and then carefully assess the site before downloading anything. Jean is right in that some free font sites can wreak havoc on your computer. But there are some good ones out there that are safe.

Another great place for free fonts is Creative Market. They have many handwriting/calligraphy style fonts (and some even mimic styles we all know and love - ahem - but anyway). While most charge, Creative Market sends an email with freebies once a week and they frequently include a free font.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram