Author Topic: Hello from Florida  (Read 1574 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Florida
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
Hello from Florida where it's so hot that it's downright cold.  Yes, you read that right... If you're visiting I strongly suggest you carry a light sweater- the AC is cranking everywhere.  If not you could end up like me- a native Floridian who wasted her money on branded overpriced theme park fleece.  Oh, the obliques I could've purchased instead.  I'm doing the math right now and it's not pretty.   

My name is Jennifer.  I've been learning and lurking from this forum for about a year.  I strongly dislike the term lurking- it makes me think of a peeping Tom.  I literally just did a little shimmy shake, peeping Tom's give me the heebie-jeebies!  Forgive me for waiting so long to properly introduce myself until now.

I love handwriting.  I've loved it ever since third grade when sister Mary Fran praised me for how quickly I picked up the Palmer method.  Ever since friends and family have complimented my nice handwriting.  Unfortunately, my everyday handwriting has suffered since digging into the study of letterforms.  Something I intend to fix.  In January 2016 I found engrosser's script/ copperplate and fell in love.  Now I want to know everything! 

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum  :D
And thanks for introducing yourself!
Because I just checked your IG account and love what I see  :)
So you have a new follower there!
And yes, nowadays I would also spend my money rather on obliques than on fleece  ;)

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Simone

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Thank Simone!

Thank you so much for the welcome.  I always feel a little silly with the introduction stuff. 
I just popped over to instagram- you have piqued my interest in Spencerian. 
You have a new follower as well  ;)  I'm excited to head back and read more of the comments regarding the theory and copy books. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
Hi Jennifer! So happy you came out of the dark shadows! Ha ha! Your post made me laugh. Your calligraphy is beautiful! Really, I am glad you finally posted.

I'm in Florida too and the hot weather has hit overnight. I also laughed because when we first moved here, we ended up wasting $160 on sweatshirts for the five of us our first time to a theme park because it was unseasonably freezing! We got the tickets for free and spent more on the sweatshirts!

Anyway, a belated welcome and I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Hi, Erica! Thank you for the warm welcome and for your kind words!!! 

I'm thrilled to hear that you're in Florida.  Up until now most of the connections I've made have been through Instagram. I'm not sure if it's my timing or what but lately it seems all the people and the classes have all been out on the west coast as well.  Please tell me I'm wrong!!!

P.S. My husband was born and raised here, but I'm originally from up north.  He still likes to tease me about the $70 fleece he bought me once the sun went down because I was too cold.  We had "free" tickets that night as well!!!  Gotta love Florida! 

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:19:07 PM »
Welcome, Jennifer!  If I ever make it to Key West, a trip that's been on my list for a couple years now, I'll be sure to heed your advice!

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:29:22 AM »
Thank Simone!

Thank you so much for the welcome.  I always feel a little silly with the introduction stuff. 
I just popped over to instagram- you have piqued my interest in Spencerian. 
You have a new follower as well  ;)  I'm excited to head back and read more of the comments regarding the theory and copy books.

How nice you are going to follow me on my Spencerian journey  :)
I'll keep posting on my experience with the books and other resources!

Offline ash0kgiri

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • joyandashcalligraphy
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:15:03 AM »
Hi Jennifer,

Warm welcome to Flourish.
Your work on IG is amazing. I will look forward to your posts on Copperplate / Engrosser's script soon.

Keep writing,
-Ashok
International Calligrapher & Educator
IAMPETH Certificate of Proficiency - Engrossers Script
www.joyandashcalligraphy.com  |  www.instagram.com/ash0kgiri

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
Hello Jennifer and welcome!

I lived in Key Largo for a year so I understand what you mean about, "where it's so hot that it's downright cold".

I love your IG and particularly liked your mirror painting with the quote, "I am a perpetual student". I love exercising the ol' gray matter  :)

Happy Lettering,
Catherine
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »

Welcome, Jennifer!  If I ever make it to Key West, a trip that's been on my list for a couple years now, I'll be sure to heed your advice!

Thank You, Bianca!  You must make your way through the Keys, you won't regret it!!!  Key West is fun, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find a favorite upper Key or middle Key along the way.  My husband and I were married in one of the middle Keys way back when.  I honeslty thought no one would come.  I believed the location would be a deterrent.  Silly Me!  I underestimated every last guest on our list.   ;)

Hi Jennifer,

Warm welcome to Flourish.
Your work on IG is amazing. I will look forward to your posts on Copperplate / Engrosser's script soon.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Thank you, Ashok!  That was kind of you to check out my instagram.  I've just had a look at yours and frankly, I'm blown away!!! I look forward to learning from you.  I promise to post as soon as I figure out how the forum works.  In my experience, forums can sometimes be tricky.  Probably the reason why I have waited so long to properly introduce myself.  I'm a rule follower by nature.

Hello Jennifer and welcome!

I lived in Key Largo for a year so I understand what you mean about, "where it's so hot that it's downright cold".

I love your IG and particularly liked your mirror painting with the quote, "I am a perpetual student". I love exercising the ol' gray matter  :)

Happy Lettering,
Catherine

Hi, Catherine!  I love Key Largo!!!  I always wish we would make the time to stop at the Pennekamp Coral Reef.  Thanks for checking out my instagram and for your kind compliments. I tried to finding you but didn't have any luck.  Do you have one?     

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
There are three active guilds in Florida - one near Orlando, one in Sarasota (west coast which is where I am) and one in the Miami area.

Here is a link to the search for Florida in the Calligraphy Guild Board.

There are usually workshops twice a year for both Orlando and Sarasota guilds. I'm not sure about the Central one. I'll be teaching in Orlando next February. Woohoo!  ;D Hope we get the chance to meet some day.  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline ash0kgiri

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • joyandashcalligraphy
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:06:33 AM »
In my experience, forums can sometimes be tricky...

Thank you for the kind words Jennifer. I started my lessons in Pointed Pen (Engrosser's script) with this Forum and from day one every one was more than willing to help me in my journey.
What I used to do is post whatever I wrote no matter how it looked and be ready for the toughest critique that would come and then work on those feedback and post it again and this went on for couple of months. The results you saw on IG :D

Here are few links which could be of some help to you.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=23.0  (Here you can post your work for Comments / Critiques)

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0  (Salman's copperplate tutorials)

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5704.0  (Interesting exchanges, if you want to participate. Trust me its super fun)

http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/  (Very useful for guidelines)

Im sure you must have seen these till now.

Keep writing, Have fun
-Ashok

International Calligrapher & Educator
IAMPETH Certificate of Proficiency - Engrossers Script
www.joyandashcalligraphy.com  |  www.instagram.com/ash0kgiri

Offline vonking1980

• View Profile
    • MyAmari
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »
Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the forum. Your calligraphy on IG is absolutely lovely, and I can't wait to see more of your work!
My family hasn't quite made it down to the Keys, but it's on our To Visit list. Miami is about as far south as we've made it.
Glad you are here with us!

Yvonne

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
There are three active guilds in Florida - one near Orlando, one in Sarasota (west coast which is where I am) and one in the Miami area.

There are usually workshops twice a year for both Orlando and Sarasota guilds. I'm not sure about the Central one. I'll be teaching in Orlando next February. Woohoo!  ;D Hope we get the chance to meet some day.  :)

This is exciting news!  I've been a little green with envy, wishing I could the amazing classes happening over on the west coast.  Particularly sorry I missed the ink academy class with Pat Blair.   Up until now, I'm self-taught... I really want a hands-on class and would love to join a guild.  I'm closest to Orlando; just under 100 miles away.  I will definitely look into that guild and of course your class, though February seems oh so far away.  Nonetheless, I look forward to meeting you on of these days!  :D  You've finally made me feel lucky to be on this coast!!!  8)

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
Here are few links which could be of some help to you.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=23.0  (Here you can post your work for Comments / Critiques)

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0  (Salman's copperplate tutorials)

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5704.0  (Interesting exchanges, if you want to participate. Trust me its super fun)

http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/  (Very useful for guidelines)

Im sure you must have seen these till now.

Keep writing, Have fun
-Ashok

Ashok, Thank You, Thank You!! 

Would you believe I haven't seen these???  Well, all except for one.  I vaguely remember the guide generator in the very beginning of my journey.  Overwhelmed, I quickly moved on having no clue how to use them. Such a pity as I now know the generator will be an extremely time saving resource.  I could just kiss you for this link alone  ;D .  I'm looking forward to spending the coming days going through the rest.

I'm making a promise to myself to post my progress/practice no matter what.  I only want to improve- don't we all!  The only way to get better is to be accepting of critique.  My friends and family aren't qualified, only seeing "pretty handwriting" and though I love Instagram hearts, I want real feedback. 

Thank you for this information... and thank you again, for the warm welcome. I'm excited!! ;)
Jennifer
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:43:29 PM by Erica McPhee »