Author Topic: Contemporary Calligraphy - it's all about style  (Read 20081 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Contemporary Calligraphy - it's all about style
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »
There is no denying "contemporary" or "modern" calligraphy is responsible for the HUGE growing interest in calligraphy. I could not be happier that hundreds, if not thousands, are discovering the joys of pointed pen lettering. I hope to provide some great tutorials and offer advice to anyone looking to learn how to do calligraphy.

There is some discussion in the calligraphy community about the amateur look of this style of calligraphy. While I am strong believer in learning the fundamentals of calligraphy, I also recognize this style is wildly popular for a reason. It is accessible, charming, and it really can be done by anyone.

I encourage anyone who wants to learn to pick up a pen and get started. Don't be afraid. We all started somewhere. We'll be offering tutorials to learn the basics, the fundamentals of good lettering, and eventually more in-depth topics such as good design, layout, and computer skills.

Come one, come all, join in, ask, and share!  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Re.awaken1

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Awakenings Art by Anastasia
Re: Contemporary Calligraphy - it's all about style
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
Hi Erica,

You said, pick up a pen, right?  Any pen? Any paper?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »
Hi!

LOL! Not just any pen... check out this board: Tools and Supplies for suggestions for practice paper, pens, nibs, etc.

I hope that helps!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
Oh, also, watch the first video tutorial - I show the supplies I use and how to get started in the first lesson.  ;)

Pointed Pen Nirvana  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline papercrew

• Freshman Member
  • www.papercrew.com
    • View Profile
    • Paper Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
Hi Erica,

You said, pick up a pen, right?  Any pen? Any paper?

Re.awaken1, I know how you feel. I'm a bit lost in this forum. But the more discussions I read I'm starting to feel like I understand the calligraphy lingo. What really helped me was to to to the home page and under "General Discussion" go the the "Start Here" discussion and follow through. Erica really took the time to list everything a beginner needs. It's awesome!

I'm right there with you, and like Erica said, we all gotta start somewhere.

Here's to the journey!
Cheers!

Offline Artsynibs

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • J.ArtsyNibs
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
I encourage anyone who wants to learn to pick up a pen and get started. Don't be afraid.

I fully agree with Erica! Modern calligraphy is certainly less technical than traditional one although the rule of consistency in spacing still applies. In fact, it's more about the creativity and writer's personality!

Personally, my modern calligraphy designs are often more structured and "straight". Fancier and more abstract designs don't come to me naturally. I guess that speaks of my character- structured and somewhat inflexible! haha. But that's the beauty of modern calligraphy - you're not bound by any restrictions except yourself!  :)
IG / Twitter: @artsynibs

Offline shandra23

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:35:45 PM »
Does anyone have tips they can share on making modern calligraphy bounce on a line ?

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »
Does anyone have tips they can share on making modern calligraphy bounce on a line ?

For consistency, what I like to do is to draw an extra line slightly below my original baseline. This allows me to alternate my baseline either after every letter or after every few letters. Hope this helps  :)
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore

Offline shandra23

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
To rabbitship, Great idea!  Thanks!

ash0kgiri

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:01:32 PM »
There is no denying "contemporary" or "modern" calligraphy is responsible for the HUGE growing interest in calligraphy. I could not be happier that hundreds, if not thousands, are discovering the joys of pointed pen lettering. I hope to provide some great tutorials and offer advice to anyone looking to learn how to do calligraphy.

There is some discussion in the calligraphy community about the amateur look of this style of calligraphy. While I am strong believer in learning the fundamentals of calligraphy, I also recognize this style is wildly popular for a reason. It is accessible, charming, and it really can be done by anyone.

I encourage anyone who wants to learn to pick up a pen and get started. Don't be afraid. We all started somewhere. We'll be offering tutorials to learn the basics, the fundamentals of good lettering, and eventually more in-depth topics such as good design, layout, and computer skills.

Come one, come all, join in, ask, and share!  ;)

Hi Erica,

Thats so nicely said and true, that we all started somewhere. So just start writing. And yes this site offers all the help in the world who is eager to learn calligraphy.
Thanks Erica.

Regards,
Ashok

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
Erica -

Thanks for sharing this style. Is the word 'Flourish' in the Flourish Forum icon considered the 'bounce' style? It looks playful  ;)

- Catherine
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
Hi Catherine,
Yes - it is a contemporary version of Copperplate with a bit of bounce, flourish, and angle to it.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Wanderful Writs

• Freshman Member
  • Modern Calligrapher and Flourishing Enthusiast :)
    • View Profile
    • Wanderful Writs
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
Modern calligraphy is fun and relaxing to create whether it be written with dip fountain pens or brush lettering, adding flourishes with bounce lettering wow admire the versatility!
@wanderfulwrits

Wanderful Writs – Capturing moments through spreading glee with calligraphy and flourishing!

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »
This book is a wonderful read...
Calligraphy: How I Fell In, Out, and In Love Again
by Susan Gaylord.
She writes "Traditional calligraphy is based on principles and on consistency...In the beginning it was all about learning the basics and making my letters as close to the ones in the exemplars as I could.  Adding personality to my letters came later."

That hit home.  I have hemmed and hawed a bit on which bucket do it fit in, Traditional or Modern?  And then I realized that you make your own bucket.  Letters are yours to create however you fancy them!

Traditional, Modern, Contemporary (I like that term), it's all good!  Have fun and explore and learn and create and make your heart sing!