Author Topic: Prodigal Daughter!  (Read 1441 times)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
Prodigal Daughter!
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:35:58 AM »
Hi,

I thought I’d reintroduce myself as I haven’t been active on here or in calligraphy for quite some time.

I joined this brilliant forum right back at the beginning & found it so valuable in getting me started on my first forays into calligraphy.  I learned copperplate & Spencerian insofar as the basic letterforms and that’s where the problems started.  The more I learned, the more inferior I felt & frustrated that my hand couldn’t execute what my eyes wanted to see.

Disillusioned, I practised less, and isolated myself from the calligraphy community because I didn’t feel like I had anything of value to offer.  My interest in calligraphy didn’t diminish though, & I still followed the Calligraphy Superstars’ on IG, sighing over all those amazing posts thinking ‘I wish I could do that’... ;)

So, where am I now?? Ha! Well you’ll be glad to hear I didn’t give up altogether, I still practiced sporadically and I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’ll never be as proficient as I want to be.  I’ve been practicing a little more regularly recently and I feel like I may be at the point of crossing the plateau I’ve been mired in for YEARS (daren’t say that too loudly though) and I’ve produced a few things that made me smile. 

So that’s my story, and I’m telling it because I want to reconnect with people who love calligraphy.  So I’d be delighted if you could say hi 👋 especially if you remember me from a few years ago. 

I’ll be offering a private exchange shortly so if you fancy a little calligraphy swap look out for my post on the exchange forum in a few days or so.

Bye for now!  :)

Nikki xxx

Nikki x

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
Re: Prodigal Daughter!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
Hi Nikki!

I'm new-ish, so we haven't met, but congratulations on getting back into regular practice!  Welcome back.  :)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Nikki,

From the looks of your work on Instagram, it sure seems to me that you have plenty to contribute!  Beautiful work.  I'm very glad you didn't give up. 

Cheers!

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
Nikki,

From the looks of your work on Instagram, it sure seems to me that you have plenty to contribute!  Beautiful work.  I'm very glad you didn't give up. 

Cheers!

You are very kind! 😊😊❤️ Good to hear from you Bianca xx
Nikki x

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
You're doing beautiful work. We are our own worst critics. The frustrating part is sometimes we get worse before we get better.  ;) So it pays to stick to it or come back to it as you have done. Welcome back!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Moose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »

Disillusioned, I practised less, and isolated myself from the calligraphy community because I didn’t feel like I had anything of value to offer.

This is probably a lot of us Nikki. It's hard, especially for someone like me who has never had a good hand or practiced fine motor skills. And I really have nothing to give back. I didn't bother to register for a long time because of that.

But people are relentlessly positive and usually very helpful. Regardless of my skill level. So here I am, every once in a while practicing to make progress, and really amazed at the quality of work some folks can produce. From what you write, I think you understand.

So, I'm new, never knew you before,  but I'll say "hi" anyway.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Oh NikkiB, part of the OG gang here (at least to me!).  good to see you!  ups and downs, ins and outs, it's all like riding a bike...we all riding the roller coaster of life (and calligraphy!).  sending you a smile from the frozen tundra bit of the midwest usa!

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
Oh NikkiB, part of the OG gang here (at least to me!).  good to see you!  ups and downs, ins and outs, it's all like riding a bike...we all riding the roller coaster of life (and calligraphy!).  sending you a smile from the frozen tundra bit of the midwest usa!

@joi Hello lovely Lady!! So glad to hear from you & delighted that you are doing SO well 👏👏👏 

You have become an inspiration to so many and I’ve loved following your IG journey.  Thanks for connecting and I look forward to catching up with you again 😘😘😘
Nikki x

Offline Wonderer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »

Disillusioned, I practised less, and isolated myself from the calligraphy community because I didn’t feel like I had anything of value to offer.

This is probably a lot of us Nikki. It's hard, especially for someone like me who has never had a good hand or practiced fine motor skills. And I really have nothing to give back. I didn't bother to register for a long time because of that.

But people are relentlessly positive and usually very helpful. Regardless of my skill level. So here I am, every once in a while practicing to make progress, and really amazed at the quality of work some folks can produce. From what you write, I think you understand.

So, I'm new, never knew you before,  but I'll say "hi" anyway.
I have to agree! I would have been far less active if the people around here weren't as friendly.