Author Topic: Is there 'noise' in the background?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Is there 'noise' in the background?
« on: October 21, 2023, 04:00:56 AM »
When you are practicing your writing, do you have any kind of 'noise' in the background?
Things like the television, or radio, cd, youtube and the like?, or do you prefer to write in silence?
I know several people who would rather not have anything break their concentration when practicing their chosen 'art form' - my youngest son - he 'loses the plot' if he is disturbed whilst working on his hobby. Actually, he's like a man possessed if he is interrupted, yet away from his hobby, he is the most placid, shyest person that I know. Personally, I find it helps to relax, but I can understand how some people wouldn't dare play music for fear of making a mistake, especially in calligraphy due to breaking concentration. Like not spelling something correctly or omitting a letter from a word thus ruining a piece. Maybe that is my trouble - spending too long listening and singing to Bono, or Billy Joel, or conducting a symphony with my dip pen and having excess ink flying all over the room.  :-[
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there 'noise' in the background?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »
I always listen to something while doing calligraphy - either music, podcast, or a series. What is funny is it becomes like Pavlov’s dog. If I hear “Call the Midwife” - I immediately want to do calligraphy.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »
I usually hear piano music (on calligraphy and while I am studying, for some reason) or a put on a series's episode ;D

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:03:36 PM »
I usually listen to music or podcasts.

@Erica McPhee I love Call the Midwife