Author Topic: Hairlines with G Nibs  (Read 997 times)

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
Hairlines with G Nibs
« on: May 23, 2021, 07:25:28 AM »
While the Nikko G and Zebra G nibs are often promoted as good nibs for beginners to pointed pen (with good reason), I have always found them to be good all round nibs for advanced practitioners as well.

While they would probably not suit very small x-heights, I have found that for heights of 4mm and above they are pretty good performers.

They are capable of good shades, smooth lines and very fine hairlines if the ink and paper combination works well together.

This quick piece was done on Canson marker paper with a Nikko G and walnut ink in an attempt to illustrate what it can do. The x-height is 6mm.

I hope it helps some people.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hairlines with G Nibs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »
Yes! I totally agree. Beautiful example. Thank you for sharing!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
You have great control on the flourishes too -- confident and elegant. Thanks for sharing!

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »
You have great control on the flourishes too -- confident and elegant. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you and you're welcome.

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »
This is beautiful work!! I hope you don't mind me asking a Newbie question  ;D do you turn your page to make the flourishes at the bottom? Or do you keep it in the same angle/position you do for writing?

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 01:26:03 PM »
This is beautiful work!! I hope you don't mind me asking a Newbie question  ;D do you turn your page to make the flourishes at the bottom? Or do you keep it in the same angle/position you do for writing?

Thank you. In answer to your question yes, I frequently turn the page depending on where I want the shades to be. Sometime I'll use a straight holder (but rarely). For me it is a matter of comfort and what I want to achieve so there is no fixed rule from my point of view. 99% of the time I use an oblique holder if that helps?