Author Topic: Inktober 2021  (Read 10920 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Inktober 2021
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
leak

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:11:10 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 02:52:46 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - either I'm missing something from your post (I can't see the pics?) or you have submitted the most META interpretation of "leak" ever!

24. Extinct

Someone help me here please? - @Erica McPhee I've been using your guidelines for copperplate practice, and I feel like there's something I'm not understanding about the "t" height.  Somehow it looks too tall when I go all the way up to the dotted line indicated on your guidelines.  But then, when I don't (like here), they also look too short?  I also hate the "c" (c's are difficult).  But the "x" turned out better than usual.

I feel like I am not terrible at other styles?  but copperplate is so rigorous, and I think I must be kind of lazy or somehow uncoordinated.  I penned the name of that poor, extinct Hawaiian honeycreeper on the drawing, and feel isn't terrible, is it?  (just not very exact...)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:56:21 PM by K-2 »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - either I'm missing something from your post (I can't see the pics?) or you have submitted the most META interpretation of "leak" ever!

@K-2
Hah! I was wondering if anyone would get it. So let's go from the sublime to the banal on leak.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 04:17:21 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 04:18:28 PM »
extinct

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
LOL - @AnasaziWrites - that is the best cringe-worthy leak! Wow - you both are really pushing the envelope in creativity. I love it!

@K-2  - the “t” guide on the guidelines I have made are based on work from the Zanerian manual and Earl A. Lupfer. There is some variance in how tall (or short) the t is made in various penmen’s hands. In this guide, it is at the same height as the d and p (which always seems so tall to me for the p!). But there is no rule that you have to make it that tall.

In your extinct (yes, great x by the way!), the t’s do seem like they are Spencerian. The honeycreeper name is beautiful! But the a’s also look Spencerian. There is nothing wrong with that - it looks beautiful. But that may be where your dissatisfaction with the t height is coming from. ?

I have done a quick mini-tutorial on the height of d, t, & p.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:46:07 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
splat

This is this morning's postprandial offering from one of the hawks that frequents our oak tree in front of our house, fortunately landing in the sidewalk, not the front steps or car.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »
LOL - @AnasaziWrites - that is the best cringe-worthy leak!
Glad you enjoyed it @Erica McPhee . Just don't ask what I used for the brown and yellow ink--it's covered under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
That hawk made the perfect splat.  ;D And your Spencerian is a tie.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
@Erica McPhee - Thank you so much for your insight about the leakage of Spencerian forms into my Copperplate.  I think your diagnosis is exactly right.  I learned the Palmer method in school, and I think those basic Spencerian forms kind of stuck with me and infect everything I'm not thinking too hard about.  I also think that the heart of my "t" problems is making the stem of the "t" too much like the Spencerian wedge shape.  So... this splat is better, perhaps.  I really appreciate the variations you showed for your ductus in the Copperplate thread!  Perhaps I'll be a real calligrapher someday yet.

@AnasaziWrites - Another very meta interpretation of "extinct" -- nice cuneiform!  You're using one of the Babylonian forms, but I can't tell if it's early or late.  I also like your splat (both forms).  I thought about trying to get my ink to splat, but the whole business with my copperplate always seems a bit splatty to being with.  I do think I'm getting better though, and I think Erica helped me through a mental block about the "t".

My "drawings" are splattered ink - two variations, two inks.  I thought I liked the peachy pink one better, but now maybe I like the cherry pink one better.  I don't know.  I did them with a toothbrush.

25. Splat

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
YES! Well done!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
@Erica McPhee   So... this splat is better, perhaps.
@K-2  No perhaps about it--it's much better.

Perhaps I'll be a real calligrapher someday yet.

In German, I would begin my reply with the word "Doch', refuting your assumption (no good word in English), and continue with, you are already there.
I also like your splat (both forms).  I thought about trying to get my ink to splat, but the whole business with my copperplate always seems a bit splatty to being with.

Funny you should say that. I've been so trained to avoid splats that it took me three tries with a worn out nib on rough paper to get a splat.

My "drawings" are splattered ink - two variations, two inks.  I thought I liked the peachy pink one better, but now maybe I like the cherry pink one better.

I favor the cherry one as well. It reminds me of the Lone Cypress at Pebble Beach, CA. Both are nicely done.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:16 AM »
connect

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
OH i LOVE this!!!!  ;D And that Spencerian!!!!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »
OH i LOVE this!!!!  ;D And that Spencerian!!!!  :-*
Thanks. Trying a little running hand version. Could probably even stretch it out a little more.
Did you connect the dots?

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2021, 04:20:40 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - I connected the dots!  As always, such a great interpretation.  And gosh, you have a beautiful Spencerian.

And thanks to both you and @Erica McPhee for all your kind words and supportive patience with my little calligraphy insecurities.

I'm very much an academic paleographer focusing on medieval manuscript culture, so while I'm quite comfortable with my uncials, minuscules, textura quadrata, batarde, and italics, I feel rather out of my depth with these "modern" pointed pen scripts.  But because I'm an academic, I want to get them "right" beyond looking good.  Your words of encouragement mean so much to me!  I do think I'm getting the hang of it now, and perhaps have moved from the asteroid belt onto Mars.  That's what Inktober is great for - putting myself out there, getting feedback, getting better!

Also, it's funny you mention the lone cypress at Pebble Beach -- I just passed by there on my way from San Luis Obispo to San Francisco in September.  So my "connect" features a scene from that trip, in which we got Sprout 1 installed at college in SLO.

26. Connect