Author Topic: Light box recommendations  (Read 2059 times)

Offline SueHiggi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Light box recommendations
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
Hello! I am thinking of getting a light box to speed up having to rule lines and for tracing but am not sure which sort to go for. I would like an A3 size one and have read lots of reviews. Some say the ones with usb connectors tend to break but all the ones I’ve seen have these. Do they make ones you can charge up so you don’t need to be hooked up to a power supply does anyone know? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you Sue

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Light box recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:02:01 AM »
Artograph makes a portable rechargeable power supply you can use with their lightpads. It works well for when a plug is not handy. I use it occasionally with the lightpad 940 (19 x 15 inches). jThey make smaller sizes as well.

Offline SueHiggi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Thank you so much. I’ll check them out!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
I bought the Daylight Wafer to replace my Huion when the connector started going wonky, and it died pretty prematurely - NOT happy about that, considering its price tag.  I hope others have had better luck.  So, now I'm back to using my Huion, because at least I can rig the connector to work, unlike the wafer. 

I used an Artograph ages ago and it lasted forever- I gave it away eventually because I wanted a thinner (wafer) pad, and also a bigger one.  But, I'm realizing the wafers just have issues with breaking connections - they just seem a little too fragile.  I suspect that if the Artograph surface is large enough (like, not the 9x12 version), the height of it won't matter as much because more of your arm is on the surface?  The one that Michael suggested also seems thinner than the dinosaur I used to have.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:19:26 PM by Bianca M »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
  I suspect that if the Artograph surface is large enough (like, not the 9x12 version), the height of it won't matter as much because more of your arm is on the surface?
Exactly right. My whole forearm rests on the lightpad surface, making it like writing on the surface of a desk.
  The one that Michael suggested also seems thinner than the dinosaur I used to have.
It probably is. Mine is 1/2 inch thick, only 1/8th inch thicker than a Wafer.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
I love my Huion. @Bianca M I had to by a new connector for my Huion a few months ago and it's working like a champ again.

Offline CraigRuhl

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Faith On Every Corner
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
My wife gave me a tracing light pad for Christmas. It is made by Tikteck and is model A4-DC. Light weight and very thin. It is USB powered - either connected to computer or by using an adapter (as used for cell phones) into a wall outlet. The LED is bright and is able to be dimmed. Under $25 on Amazon.

After two days playing/using, I am very pleased. I use the light pad to provide guidelines for copperplate and calligraphy practice. The light is bright enough to show guidelines through a fairly thick envelope and 32lb paper.
Craig Ruhl
A novice penman, seasoned writer, voracious reader, and all-around nice guy. I am a lifetime collector and user of fountain pens.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I love my Huion. @Bianca M I had to by a new connector for my Huion a few months ago and it's working like a champ again.

@AmyNeub I'm glad to hear you found a solution to keeping your Huion going!  The trouble with mine is the input within the pad itself - it's a little loose. 

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Cricut Brightpad CLP7000.  Got it at JoAnn Fabrics for about $80.  Love it!  Very thin and dimmable.  https://www.joann.com/cricut-brightpad-rose/15737562.html
Todd